advertisement

PA (Pro Audio) Crossover Caps Needed

mr_spanners

pfm Member
I'm rebuilding the crossover units that are fitted to a pair of Turbosound TXD121 (PA) speakers.

These speakers have been suddenly and massively overdriven which has resulted in two of the low pass caps on each crossover being blown.

These are both axial caps but I cannot seem to find anywhere that stocks both parts, infact the 25uf 100v seems tough to find anywhere!

2U2 250v Foil Cap
25uf 100v (10% tolerance) Non-Polarised Electrolytic Cap

Both are 30mm long

If anyone can point me to a place where I can find these caps or alternatively somewhere that can provide a pair of cheap\used replacement 2 way crossovers for 400w pro audio speakers then I'd be extremely grateful!!!

Thanks

~Phil.

Why not ask Turbosound for some spares? They have a reputation for being helpful.

Cheers,
Simon

Thanks Simon,

They (Turbosound) are helpful in that they've offered to sell me a pair of replacement crossovers but the cost is greater than that of a replacement pair of 2nd hand speakers. Hopefully I can find some caps or cheaper crossovers before going this route???

If you can make them fit, you'd be far better replacing those knackered electrolytic caps with some polypropylene caps. This page has some 24uF (that's close enough - your caps have a 10% tolerance which is 2.5uF either way) which are £5.95 each and would sound far, far nicer than any electrolytic. These caps are in my crossovers at the moment, but at some point I'll upgrade them for some like the ones below, or maybe even some Hovlands.

This page has both 2.2uF and 25uF polypropylenes but they're slightly more expensive at £2.30 and £8.00 each, respectively. I've used these in crossovers before and they're excellent.

25uF electrolytics are also available from there at £1.62 each if you really want to use poor quality components ;)
Hope that helps,

Carl

Many thanks Hacker! I've just spoken to the chaps at Wilmslow and ordered the 'bits' I need. I went for the Electrolytics (on the 25uf) as they're going in PA speakers (used in a noisy pub) so it's just a case of getting the things up and running again!

Thanks for all the replies and assistance (again!)

~Phil.

That's the beauty of PFM :) 3 hours ago you had knackered speakers, now you've got bits on the way to fix 'em!

Just a little note....

Having been told by Wilmslow last Wednesday that the caps were in stock and would be shipped that same day (I'd get them next day or Friday at the latest) I placed and order and awaited their arrival.

Sadly these never turned up and the owner of the poorly speakers (for whom I was repairing them) was very unhappy as these are from a pub.... and a pub without music over a busy weekend is not good.

I've spoken to Wilmslow today and the chap on the phone casually announced that the caps weren't actually in stock and they were waiting for some to come in. I explained the dilemma but no apology was forthcoming infact, the chap seemed more than keen the cancel the order and get me off the phone as quick as possible.

I guess you need to spend a fair amount of money these days to get good customer service!!! :(

The Happy Ending.

I spoke with Turbosound again this morning to ask if they had any old\used crossovers that they might sell me or perhaps recommend an alternative source for the components.

The guys who helped me (Paul McMullan and Dan Orton) took pity on me and the situation I'd ended up in and have sent me a pair of brand new crossover units for the princely sum of £12 which was a figure they 'plucked out of the air' based on what I'd have expected to pay for just the replacement components.

Now this is how customer service SHOULD be!!! My faith is restored!

:)

advertisement

Back