advertisement

P3ESR XD opinions?

I’ve had pretty much every iteration of the Spendors; S3/5, S3/5se, SA1 and currently A1’s. I bought a pair of Harbeths P3esr’s too. The Harbeths are outperformed by the current A1’s (deeper bass) but the P3’s out-performed all my other Spendors.
I concede deeper bass doesn’t necessarily mean “better” bass, I’m trying to remember, but perhaps the Harbeths had a more tuneful bass, that just didn’t go as low?……I so wish I’d kept them for my own shoot-out, lol!
Also, there’s something gem like about the Harbeths build, they just oooze quality and are seriously heavy for their size! The X/D price point concerns me though…..I don’t know what happened there? Mine were the previous version which I picked up for half the price of X/D and they were brand new, in boring black, mind!…..

As a 3/1 owner it’s interesting to hear your views, I’m also a bit intrigued by the P3 and 4/5 but have heard neither, the Falcon Q7 also piques my interest! I do like my 3/1’s though.

Yeah, they're fantastic. What size room / distance from walls do you have the 3/1 in, out of interest?

My room is a large open plan space with about a 15ft pitched ceiling! They fill it with ease. I have the back of the speaker about 400mm from the wall and they’re about 2.2m apart with a slight toe in. Stands are standard flat plate type, 500mm high filled with aquarium sand and using boggo gel pads underneath speakers so overall nothing exotic and probably not ideal for a thin wall speaker. I changed from A7 floorstanders where I found the upper mids too hot. I would like to get better open frame stands though at some stage. They’re driven at the moment by a loaner Rega Osiris which really pushes them but normally by a Supernait 3. I really like the way they provide lots of detail without being fatiguing, there’s so much more info and textures in the upper bass regions compared to the A7. Maybe a little more bite would be welcome but overall they’re a great compromise for all genres - lovely with classical or jazz, excellent with electronic and give them some welly and they can really rock out too.

I’ve had pretty much every iteration of the Spendors; S3/5, S3/5se, SA1 and currently A1’s. I bought a pair of Harbeths P3esr’s too. The Harbeths are outperformed by the current A1’s (deeper bass) but the P3’s out-performed all my other Spendors.
I concede deeper bass doesn’t necessarily mean “better” bass, I’m trying to remember, but perhaps the Harbeths had a more tuneful bass, that just didn’t go as low?……I so wish I’d kept them for my own shoot-out, lol!
Also, there’s something gem like about the Harbeths build, they just oooze quality and are seriously heavy for their size! The X/D price point concerns me though…..I don’t know what happened there? Mine were the previous version which I picked up for half the price of X/D and they were brand new, in boring black, mind!…..
Never see them in black, but it’s the colour I’d choose.

advertisement

Back