advertisement

Take one pint glass. Fill to line with a quality real ale. Serving suggestions: Goes well with tabs, dry roast nuts or pork scratchings.

I have been drinking Butty Bach 4.5% Ale from the Wye Valley brewery of late (4 for £6 from Morrisons) and Directors Reserve Ale (again - Morrisons 4 for £6) - the Butty Bach is addictive session ale. I am going to get a load of it in. Also been drinking Hartington IPA (on tap in Hartington :)) nectar.

Also working through the Aldi ales.

I have moved on from Special Brew or Kestrel Supa Strength.

I have been drinking Butty Bach 4.5% Ale from the Wye Valley brewery of late (4 for £6 from Morrisons) and Directors Reserve Ale (again - Morrisons 4 for £6) - the Butty Bach is addictive session ale. I am going to get a load of it in. Also been drinking Hartington IPA (on tap in Hartington :)) nectar.

Also working through the Aldi ales.

I have moved on from Special Brew or Kestrel Supa Strength.

They do a few nice IPA's at Morrisons as well, Old Empire is most enjoyable.

Must be 20 years since I had one of those super strength lagers! Go back about 33 and they were the new age travellers favourite tipple... In fact, as this a cocktails thread :D a very popular one was a tin of Number 1 barley wine topped up to a pint with Special Brew. I don't recall umbrellas or cherries on cocktail sticks featuring.... mind you after 3 of those you don't recall much really:D

Wye Valley is one of my locals - Butty is indeed a great session beer, not overly hopped. Well kept draft is lovely, but they tend to only supply the local pubs, or at least they used to, however bottled versions are still good. Some prefer their HPA. They even do a lager now, for the wee lady

They do a few nice IPA's at Morrisons as well, Old Empire is most enjoyable.

Must be 20 years since I had one of those super strength lagers! Go back about 33 and they were the new age travellers favourite tipple... In fact, as this a cocktails thread :D a very popular one was a tin of Number 1 barley wine topped up to a pint with Special Brew. I don't recall umbrellas or cherries on cocktail sticks featuring.... mind you after 3 of those you don't recall much really:D

We are not so different.

As I remember, it was a small bottle of barley wine tipped into a stolen pint glass with Special Brew (or Kestrel) on top of the Barley wine.

@Big Tabs you could make the gomme - use vanilla sugar to make a strong sugar syrup, then mix that with dissolved gum arabic (the latter can be bought in quite a few places). I often mix a touch of vodka to sugar syrups to prolong shelf life.

As for cocktails, I'm a big fan of negronis, at standard proportions. I sometimes add a dash of lime to liven things up a bit. Over the summer and the hot weather I've been drinking jungle birds, which I saw a passing reference to online somewhere and decided to take a look. Pineapple juice, campari, rum, demerara syrup, and a touch of lime. Given the broad definition of rum, a lot of variations have been required for tasting. I've ended up with either zacapa solera or barbancourt family reserve - rum agricole also worked well - as the rum, and I strain, then filter, the pineapple juice to remove the pulp and sediment. Eminently quaffable.

@Big Tabs you could make the gomme - use vanilla sugar to make a strong sugar syrup, then mix that with dissolved gum arabic (the latter can be bought in quite a few places). I often mix a touch of vodka to sugar syrups to prolong shelf life.

As for cocktails, I'm a big fan of negronis, at standard proportions. I sometimes add a dash of lime to liven things up a bit. Over the summer and the hot weather I've been drinking jungle birds, which I saw a passing reference to online somewhere and decided to take a look. Pineapple juice, campari, rum, demerara syrup, and a touch of lime. Given the broad definition of rum, a lot of variations have been required for tasting. I've ended up with either zacapa solera or barbancourt family reserve - rum agricole also worked well - as the rum, and I strain, then filter, the pineapple juice to remove the pulp and sediment. Eminently quaffable.

Good idea re: gum arabic, I will look for it.

Negronis > we are no fans of campari, but will try anything once...

Good idea re: gum arabic, I will look for it.

Negronis > we are no fans of campari, but will try anything once...
Negronis have a "lot" of campari for the overall flavour. With the Jungle Bird it gives it, in combination with the demerara syrup, an almost molasses/liquorice-like touch to dampen the sweetness of the rum and pineapple, without going towards acidity (I'm sure there are better ways of explaining it, but I hope it's not too nebulous).

I do enjoy the odd Godfather cocktail as the equal parts whisky and Amaretto manage to take the taste of each other away :)
It really is a minor miracle that two distinct flavours just fade away.

Negronis have a "lot" of campari for the overall flavour.

I dont agree as that was how it was intended. The strength is meant to highlight the bitterness of campari. Of course anyone can make it how they see fit, and in fact i tend to overload the campari and gin, to tone down the sweetness.

IME it is the bar tenders choice of drink in its original form.

If you have an issue with salt, be careful and many retail tomato juices contain added salt, and some to quite high levels.

I dont agree as that was how it was intended. The strength is meant to highlight the bitterness of campari. Of course anyone can make it how they see fit, and in fact i tend to overload the campari and gin, to tone down the sweetness.
Just to clarify, I meant that compared to other ingredients the Negroni has a lot of Campari to ensure it shows its flavour. Dropping it (in terms of proportion), in my view, rather defeats the object of the drink, but absolutely it's a matter of taste.

Just to clarify, I meant that compared to other ingredients the Negroni has a lot of Campari to ensure it shows its flavour. Dropping it (in terms of proportion), in my view, rather defeats the object of the drink, but absolutely it's a matter of taste.

i clearly misunderstood what you wrote, sorry - we are in agreement. You need a good whack of Campari

When the big supermarkets in Leeds and Bradford are no longer viral Petri dishes I must get out and top up the cocktail cupboard. Anything more than a generic G&T or a beer is off the menu at the moment. In fact I've run out of gin. Homebrew cider it is, all round.

When the big supermarkets in Leeds and Bradford are no longer viral Petri dishes I must get out and top up the cocktail cupboard. Anything more than a generic G&T or a beer is off the menu at the moment. In fact I've run out of gin. Homebrew cider it is, all round.

online?

@stevec67 - surely a man of your sheer know-how has found a way to make the perfect one-shot G&T with a kettle & a fridge from domestic salad byproduct & pastry re-work or sim by now?

OK, I realise it might be 3000litres at a time, therefore unfit for the average home play-along. overtones of cucumber, pumice, west germany a la reggie perrin. But keep us informed, eh ;)

advertisement

Back