advertisement

First place that I worked had a chart on the wall amongst many other posters - it was a drawing of a typical 1 litre wine/spirits bottle, with marked graduations. It gave no timescale so far as I recall, unfortunately, but it was obviously based over a very few hours, and I cannot remember the specific labels that attached to the graduations, but it went something like - relaxed feeling, loss of inhibition, loss of coordination, and so on, I am sure you get the gist. Before the top of the bottle, was something like 90% chance of death.

Some people clearly ran things close in earlier life.

This was 40 years ago, but it probably exists on the www somewhere.

Slivovitz.

60ml Slivovitz
10ml dry vermouth
5ml of sugar syrup (or to taste - no more that 10ml!)

half a plum peeled, stoned, and choped.

gently crush the plum in the bottom of a cocktail shaker (use a muddler if you have one if not a fork against the side of the shaker). Add all the remaining ingredients, ice and shake. Strain (tea strainer - it needs to be fine) and serve in a martini glass.

another thought - i wonder if you could replace the Cognac in a Sidecar, with Slivovitz?

Negroni

Equal measures (40ml) of Gin (pref something with good orange botanicals), Campari, and Sweet Red Vermouth. Stir and serve with a large single ice (here i am using my big ball)

2020-09-20_05-06-36 by uh_simon, on Flickr

I find the Campari overwhelming in those proportions and use less. I like Campari too, best with soda or tonic imo.

I was given Slivowitz by some Czech climbers I met on the top of some all or other in Switzerland. It was about 9 am. After handshakes all round I set off back down with a healthy glow on.

I like Campari too, best with soda or tonic imo.

Campari and Soda is great. I often have my Negronis; 50 Gin 40 Campari, 30 Vermouth

now a Martinez

2020-09-20_05-30-25 by uh_simon, on Flickr

60 old tom
7.5 dry vermouth
22.5 sweet vermouth
7.5 Maraschino
dash Angustura

stir over ice and strain into chilled glass (needs a coupe glass really - we've broken all ours)

advertisement

Back