advertisement

P.G.A.H. VOIGT: A Great Audio Inventor

sysgenss,

It looks like it's been in a fire? There a bit of restoration work need to be done. I've sent a PM to you

At last my dream of hearing an original Voigt Domestic Corner Horn has come true.
I thank addict for arranging this, Markse for enabling it and, especially, John Howes and his beautiful wife Brenda for their splendid hospitality and the visit to the Lowther-Voigt museum. And I especially thank John Howes for the opportunity he gave me to hear more than one original Voigt Domestic Corner Horn and fitted with a field- coil DC driver; a rare experience not experienced by most! John Howes even dismantled part of a Voigt horn so that I could see how the internal was constructed, my query being about the contiguity of the mouth.
eguth:
Splendid work, your Voigt survey. Very impressing research, thanks for sharing it with us!
I made some research as well. I sent you a PM.

Barniboy

Thank you for your kind remark.

It has been a total pleasure preparing this Memoir. I have met some splendid people- a few of whom are Pink Fish Media members.

The Reference Section of the Memoir (above) has been good training for me in eyestrain! I only hope that when I finish my Reference Section it will be of substantial use to future researchers on Voigt, and that I can save them the eyestrain.

I will take me a (predicted) at least further month of work on the Section before it is complete. Without the extra assistance I am receiving from some British Library staff my research would have been difficult.

Watch the thread and I will post a comment when I have completed the section.

Best wishes

Eric
Eric Stubbes

Hello Eric
I assume you have concerns regarding publishing the documents you have been digging up, and you may be right. But, I think patents (contrary to popular belief) are actually public documents, and Wireless World is long gone, so I guess there really wont be any to enforce some rights in these cases.
Did you actually see, or read, the Dulwich college letters and the material in the Canadian Libraries/Archives ? I would be most interested.
In order for me to proceed would you think it appropriate simply to call Ms. Claire Banton/G.M. Lucy ?
Alas, the numbers quoted for the tapes in the British Sound Archives does not seem to be recognized by their system.
To supplement your list:
Ad. 122a “Radio Electronics” 1959, Mar., p. 16 “Author replies”. Voigt extends with many details the intro by the editor in the previous issue.
Ad. 123 “Radio Electronics” 1959, Feb. p. 38, Apr. p. 82, May. p. 56, June p. 55, July p. 76, Aug. p. 39, Sept. p. 72, Oct. p. 50, Nov. p. 78. Series Part I thru IX “All about the reflex enclosure”. Voigt makes a thorough effort covering all aspects of Bass Reflex issues in laymens terms, but including a chart of speaker vs. box vs. port tuning.

Voigt

Anyone wishing to hear the tapes referred to in Footnotes No.8 and No.10 can do so at the British Library Sound Archives. If you require assistance in accessing these please consult the Sound Archives.

Barniboy
Yes, I have read all documents I have referred to except those in the Canadian Archives, plus others I have chosen not to list.

I have already listed the two references you mention (see References Nos. 136-144).

I regret that some have not been able to get access to the tapes listed in Footnotes 8 & 10.

I have been informed by the Sound Archives that only the first part of the references should be given. I have deleted the unnecessary parts from the Footnotes.

Sound Archives informed me further that there may be restrictions on access:

1) to all users;
2) to non- EU users, or
3) other restrictions; and that
4) non EU users should approach their local university or other institution with a view to the institution requesting special access otherwise denied to individuals.
5) Permission to listen to these tapes is guaranteed to British Library registered readers who visit the library. Registered readers should book an appointment with the Sound Archives.
In case of further difficulty please consult the British Library for assistance.

Paul and Ida Voigt left England in April 1950.

In May 1950 an advert for Voigt Patents Ltd. containing a long letter from Voigt himself appeared in Wireless World (see Reference No. 126 above).
The ad announced that demonstrations of Voigt loudspeakers would be available at NO. 7 the Parade, Wells Park Rd., Sydenham SE26 in London.

Intrigued by this, I decided to go to that address to see whether the property still stands and what it looks like (see photo, below, taken by me on 6.2.11).

DSCN0657 by pulitout, on Flickr

Voigt must have personally arranged for these demos before leaving in April.

Eguth
I have been Googling up and down Silverdale, Sydenham (did not proceed to Dacress rd., though), but found no house resembling "the Courts" or "Bowden Mount". Would you have the approx. street no. ?. It seems no. 15 is demolished and replaced by condo's, though. Interesting with Wells rd., it is probably the same garages mr. Voigt arranged his last demo.
Very interesting.

Barniboy

The reason you can’t find ‘The Courts’, Silverdale is given in Acknowledgement No. 2. I have now amended that acknowledgement to explain the reason why “The Courts” cannot be found today. See, also, footnote #3 referred to in the fifth paragraph of my post #29.

"Bowden Mount" is in another part of Sydenham, not Silverdale.

The NO. 7 The Parade (Wells Park Road address that was used for demos) is not and was never garages so far as I know. See the photo I took (Post # 50). The steel shutters closing the ground floor of the current premises are a common form of protection against burglary used, often, in shop front premises in the U.K.

Barniboy

I must apologise for an error in my post #48. You were quite correct in pointing out my failure to list the March (Author Replies) issue of Radio- Electronics entry. This has now been added (see new ref. #137).

A Note: Expanded Reference Section

I have unexpectedly discovered a great deal of information about Voigt and Voigt Patents Ltd. in letters and, surprisingly, in advertisements in Wireless World.

I have now completed my perusal of every issue between 1924 to 1950 with a fine tooth comb.

As a result the ‘References’ section of this Memoir has now been greatly expanded.

Researchers following the Wireless World references will discover a great deal of detailed information not available elsewhere.

I have sometimes indicated the contents of ads or letters. This is no substitute for reading them. Some ads contain cartoons not subsequently republished (as of April 2011).

I have also incorporated the results of my search of the Journal of the Institution of Electrical Engineering. A further search into the Proceedings of this Institution for the years until Voigt’s death yielded no result.

Should any further resource come to my notice it will be added.

For those interested, a pair of newly made Voigts, commissioned by John Howe and using Voigts own signed drawings (all five pages of them) are nearly ready. They are totally original, right down to the correct felt and also used the original moulds. They look marvellous and should sound fabulous too. All made of plywood of course and I believe they will be fitted with original Voigt field coil drivers, rewound for a 12 volt supply, at Whittlebury in September. It is rather rare to have something so authentic reappear. Some of you will know how marvellous these corner horns can sound, a real 'education' for those with jaded ears.One other comment, the 1930s 'home constructors' version in wireless world is too simplified to be a lot of good.But then I doubt that an amateur could build a pair of the originals...the pair currently under construction have taxed an expert joiner, not least because the plans aren't quite accurate and have had to be compared with an original, dismantled, horn.A real labour of love. Anyone seruiously interested should contact John Howe.

Recommended by Eguth, I hereby paste some additional Wireless World items by/about PGAH Voigt, in order to further build this reference:

W.W. Dec. 10, 1921, p.560-562, Article: "Simultaneous high and low frequency amplification".
W.W. July 21, 1933, p. 43, Trade note: Voigt manufacturing is moving.
W.W. Mar. 15, 1936, p. 308, News: Voigt 4ft square horn.
W.W. Apr. ?, 1936, p. 350, Letter: Shutdown of the Little Nationals transmitter.
W.W. July 17, 1936, p. ?, News: Voigt outdoor PA speaker (P. Voigt? hosing down speaker w. mains applied).
W.W. Aug. 28, 1936, p. 201-202, Article: "Cabinet or baffle ?" Discussion of resonance vs. Voigt domestic horn.
W.W. Feb. 15, 1937, p. 139, News: Voigt PA speaker.
W.W. Aug. 6, 1937, p. 127, Advert./News: Interesting cabinets. Display of Voigt/Lowther special order, beautiful system.
W.W. Oct. 15, 1937, p. 390-392, Letter: "Mr. Voigt replies" (Again, more thorough reply of transient reponse, a "thread" of many reader letters).
W.W. Aug. 25, 1938, p. 103, Advert.: Voigt speaker demo during audio show.
W.W. Sep. 15, 1938, p. 103, Not Voigt, but Lowther, showing beautiful, massive "reciever" with all bells and whistles, looks like a marine radio.

Thanks.

I hope that John Howes will comment on any differences between the original Voigt drawings he uses (signed by Voigt) and your simulation.

There looks to be an interesting Voigt mains energised driver on ebay at present.I would do a link if I were technically able.

There looks to be an interesting Voigt mains energised driver on ebay at present.I would do a link if I were technically able.

From the one photo on the Ebay listing this driver does not look like any of those I saw in John Howe’s’ museum.
However it may have been made by Voigt: I query this.

advertisement

Back