advertisement

Out'Bloody'Rageous

Picked this up last weekend after meaning to get some Soft Machine for ages...and it is absolutely FAB!

Boys it rocks, grooves, swings and everything in-between :D

So further recommendations and explanations of the Canterbury scene please!

Paul

What you need:

Soft Machine vols 1-4.

The collected works of Robert Wyatt, starting with Rock Bottom, one of the greatest records ever made by anybody.

A couple of live Softs records. Noisette is a good one.

This book.

-- Ian

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You're welcome.

Robert Wyatt is one of my heroes, so I favour early Soft Machine (he was kicked out of the group after vol 4), but lilolee may be along shortly to recommend some later stuff. He played me a track from one of their last records once that was fantastic, wish I could remember what it was.

-- Ian

Well, you've got enough on that compilation to tell you that they played in a number of styles and that recommendations would be better linked to the various periods - e.g. if you like the stuff off the first album then clearly the first three Kevin Ayers albums and the first Caravan are going to go down well, if the second then Caravan's If I Could Do It... or Supersister (A Dutch "Canterbury" band) To The Highest Bidder, or even Egg.

Third is just plain classic and though there's nothing quite in its league you should try Wyatt's subsequent group Matching Mole and both Hatfield & The North and National Health.

Fourth is on the way to free jazz (and just not in the same ballpark as Third) and Fifth is mostly unpleasant noise. :)

Six is more mainstream fusion as is Seven, but both are good if you like a bit of tune.

There's a pile more I could whiffle on about but it'd probably just confuse. So, I recommend you wend your way over here to Prog Archives, where you can get to listen to a bucnh of MP3s and sort yourself out first hand.

Well, you've got enough on that compilation to tell you that they played in a number of styles and that recommendations would be better linked to the various periods - e.g. if you like the stuff off the first album then clearly the first three Kevin Ayers albums and the first Caravan are going to go down well, if the second then Caravan's If I Could Do It... or Supersister (A Dutch "Canterbury" band) To The Highest Bidder, or even Egg.

Third is just plain classic and though there's nothing quite in its league you should try Wyatt's subsequent group Matching Mole and both Hatfield & The North and National Health.

Fourth is on the way to free jazz (and just not in the same ballpark as Third) and Fifth is mostly unpleasant noise. :)

Six is more mainstream fusion as is Seven, but both are good if you like a bit of tune.

There's a pile more I could whiffle on about but it'd probably just confuse. So, I recommend you wend your way over here to Prog Archives, where you can get to listen to a bucnh of MP3s and sort yourself out first hand.

Hi nickl,

I've just visited that Progarchives site, and its seems an ideal way of finding new music.

Do you know of any similar websites but for different genres? I dont know if you're familiar with Dave Matthew Band? but i've been trying for a while to find similar bands of this style - a mixture of jazz/rock/funk. They're an excellent band especially live - more of a jamming session really.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Hi,

I'm not really qualified to talk about the Dave Matthews Band as I'm not a big fan....but I am a fan of jam bands in general. I don't really want to drag this one off-thread, but I normally go to the Internet Archive and stumble around there. I've picked up on Assembly Of Dust (sort of like if The Band did jamming), Particle (electronic jamming - they do things like jam versions of Pink Floyd), Umphrey's McGee, Shadey Groove, Ekoostik Hookah (all more traditional jam bands) from there. But I could go on and on and on and on....so I'll stop and let things go back to Canterbury :)

Nick

Thanks for the info folks...particually like the over here to 'Prog Archives' site...
I can remember when mention of the word Prog would have been enough to have you burnt at the stake (I would happily been helping stoking the fire in my ignorance I'm afraid) but there is some really great stuff to be sought out in Rocks further reaches.

Paul

Prog in the case of Prog Archives is a very broad church stretching from karautrock to folk. In between there's that particular brand of uber-widdly nonsense that punk gave a good kicking to, but it's a small minority really.

If you need more detailed pointers, I'm happy to point...and I'm sure Goose will too once he's seen this!

Exactly what I was about to suggest until I saw your post Nick.

The first Matching Mole LP is a particular fave of mine as well as 'Third' - which no home should be without - 'The Moon in June' leaves me without words.

I'd also add 'Banana Moon' by Daevid Allen and, if you can find them, the Gong and Kevin Ayers BBC sessions LP's on Turning Point records. Gong's ska version of Clarence in Wonderland with Kevin Ayers is hilarious.

Simon

advertisement

Back