advertisement

Ouch

"My car was £80 to fill up from empty in January and now it is costing me £140-£150," Mrs Evans said.

She has urged the UK government to step in and help.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61746813
Her maths is horrendously bad unless her Renault Mégane has somehow acquired an 85-litre fuel tank.

Fuel in Ceredigion is apparently around £1.75/litre currently so £150-worth of fuel would be roughly 85 litres. A Mégane's tank is around 50 litres so therefore roughly £90 to fill from empty.

I'm not arguing that the whole situation isn't a nightmare for a lot of people but over-exaggerating things doesn't help.

Last edited:
our carers URGENTLY need help as some will resign if they dont get help with fuel ...

A carer from rural west Wales has said she is thinking about quitting her job because of the rising cost of fuel.

Bethan Evans from Gorsgorch near Llanybydder in Ceredigion regularly drives more than 600 miles a week visiting clients in their own homes across a large swathe of west Wales.

"My car was £80 to fill up from empty in January and now it is costing me £140-£150," Mrs Evans said.

She has urged the UK government to step in and help.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61746813

That’s a nightmare, but sounds a bit steep. Increasing fuel costs have always been one of the downsides of living in the back of beyond (particularly in the big thirsty 4x4’s which you tend to see) but just shows how reliant we’ve become on cheap fuel and energy.

Scrap the euro ncap make cars smaller light, slower top speed and all the other power alternatives begin to make more sense.

Agree, although EV’s weigh a lot! When you think a Peugeot 205 diesel pushing 40 years old would easily do what, 65mpg+, we’re going backwards. Easy to fix too which has to be better for the environment.

Community nursing staff are suffering as the cost of fuel rises. Nursing staff have reported that the price of a full tank of fuel has increased by as much as £100 a month, forcing them to make impossible decisions between filling up their car and buying food.

We’ve joined with other unions to call for an immediate review of the current national mileage rates and have also identified several NHS organisations that don’t pay the existing national rate of 56p per mile.

Alongside our national work, we’ll also be taking local action to negotiate an increase in mileage rates within these trusts and have asked chief nurses to use their influence to help with this.

Chief nurses and executive boards can also support nursing staff by exploring changes to community nurse caseloads to reduce unnecessary travel; providing administrative support to help nursing staff claim mileage; investing in shared electric vehicles; and making changes to bases to reduce mileage.

https://www.rcn.org.uk/news-and-eve...s-to-chief-nurses-mileage-rates-review-040422

Scrap the euro ncap make cars smaller light, slower top speed and all the other power alternatives begin to make more sense.
Small cars that are all at least safe enough and big enough ain’t light if they’re powered by batteries. Hydrogen should be better.

Small cars that are all at least safe enough and big enough ain’t light if they’re powered by batteries. Hydrogen should be better.
Agree, its rare to find a car weighing less than 1000kg these days. The rather wonderful Audi A2 managed it and the VW Lupo came close but they are long in the tooth now.

Agree, its rare to find a car weighing less than 1000kg these days. The rather wonderful Audi A2 managed it and the VW Lupo came close but they are long in the tooth now.
And no batteries. Guy at work has a new Corsa EV, from memory 1900kg.

FU2-Cn-Fy-X0-Bcd2-IE.jpg

(credit to OP)

Something stinks. In 2008 oil per barrel was about what it was now, but petrol was £1.40 a litre. Someone's getting very rich on the back of this.

Its still surprising the amount of traffic on the roads. I wonder how much more it will have to go up before we see any real difference.

advertisement

Back