advertisement

Ouch

Beautiful day down in Devon today so decided to take the boat out. Rocked up at the slipway at about 9.30 wondering if we’d got down there too late for a parking space but it was virtually deserted. That’s got to be because of fuel costs.
not in torquay marina i suppose ? Big yacht fire there just before jubilee with 9 tons of diesel on board

looks bad in some parts of Australia

Australia's energy minister has urged households in New South Wales - a state that includes the country's biggest city Sydney - to switch off their lights in the face of an energy crisis.

Chris Bowen says people should not use electricity for two hours every evening if they "have a choice".

However, he added he was "confident" that blackouts could be avoided.

It comes after Australia's main wholesale electricity market was suspended because of a surge in prices.

Mr Bowen asked people living in New South Wales to conserve as much power as possible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61821423

Last Wednesday I took the Passat estate from Suffolk to Berkshire and back, four adults, things in the boot, hot day and lots of heavy traffic. 300 miles, and averaged 46mpg.
I really can’t complain about that. Could just do with another 100bhp ;)

And void the warranty. I just can’t risk it, no matter what the remappers say about them being invisible.

I'd never chip, either. For starters, the insurance premium for a chipped car is usually a lot higher than a car with the same BHP out of the factory. Something to do with algorithms /statistics that chipped cars are usually owned by *ahem* more enthusiastic drivers who tend to be more likely to make a claim.

Well over £2 per litre we saw yesterday on way home.
I have to admit my hybrid finally arriving next month will be useful on the fuel front.
All of my daily driving will be via electric, or should be.
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones who's use case scenario really works for that kind of car.

Was on M25 yesterday. Doing 60 I was the slowest car. All those rich people doing 70+ must like spending 20-30 % more the me for saving just a few minutes.
Just slow down and don’t complain on how much money your spending on petrol.

^^ same on the M40 / 42 / 6 yesterday. Traffic jams galore. Needed to fill up, 191.9 for E10 at Esso. Getting silly.
Read a Which review on EV’s. If you actually look at the cost per mile of public chargers, there’s really wasn’t much difference between electric and diesel. Home overnight cheap tariff was OK but good luck getting one of those. I’m coming to the conclusion the whole thing is a con.

By the time EVs are truly mainstream the cost to run one will be the same as an ICE vehicle, the only benefit will be the green one (if that even adds up from the manufacture and mining side of things, I'm not clued up enough to know).

There is absolutely no chance they're going to let us all swan around in cars powered on cheap electric charged up at home.

Was on M25 yesterday. Doing 60 I was the slowest car. All those rich people doing 70+ must like spending 20-30 % more the me for saving just a few minutes.
Just slow down and don’t complain on how much money your spending on petrol.

So why didn’t you do 50mph and save even more money?

Here’s something to think about.

I started driving in October 1982 in my Triumph Dolomite 1850. Four speed gearbox, 91bhp, no gadgets, no aircon, no real safety features.
Petrol was about £1.70 per gallon, and my Dolloposhite did about 30mpg.

That £1.70 is now, with inflation, about £7. But, my big black barge, with all its features and safety and over 50% more power does 46mpg.

I’ll carry on as before, thank you. I’ll drive where and when I want, at or near the speed limit if it’s safe to do so. Causing log jams on motorways while wagging my finger at other drivers for doing…. WOAH! 70MPH!!!! isn’t on my menu.

I reckon EV’s will be far more expensive fuel wise once we have mass adoption. Look at the tax take from petrol / diesel. This will need to be replaced. I don’t know how much the govt earn from electricity over and above the 5% VAT element but would be surprised if it’s anything like the current VAT (20%) and duty on petrol and diesel. Plus of course electricity itself will keep getting more expensive. As for green, I understand circa 60% of electricity comes from fossil fuels.

As for green, I understand circa 60% of electricity comes from fossil fuels.
Sure, as compared to 100% of petrol that comes from fossil fuels. Don't forget also that petrol and diesel don't get dug out of the ground for free, depending upon the source you need anything up to 4 gallons of diesel to generate 1 gallon of diesel for sale. I think the 4 gallon figure is for shale oil, which is hardest work. I suspect the Canadians and Americans will be opening up the shale oil and gas mines again, they had become uneconomic when crude oil was nothing a tonne, but they won't be now.

I reckon EV’s will be far more expensive fuel wise once we have mass adoption. Look at the tax take from petrol / diesel. This will need to be replaced. I don’t know how much the govt earn from electricity over and above the 5% VAT element but would be surprised if it’s anything like the current VAT (20%) and duty on petrol and diesel. Plus of course electricity itself will keep getting more expensive. As for green, I understand circa 60% of electricity comes from fossil fuels.

I would think that as renewable tech becomes more efficient that electricity would become cheaper. TBH If one could have a setup in the home that generates their own needs then charging your own car would essentially come to pence. At present 100% or our electric comes from renewables.

I would think that as renewable tech becomes more efficient that electricity would become cheaper. TBH If one could have a setup in the home that generates their own needs then charging your own car would essentially come to pence. At present 100% or our electric comes from renewables.

But the future will be taxing of road use.

advertisement

Back