advertisement

Ouch

I’m guessing you’ve had a tumble! Wet leaves have been a problem on the roads for about a week or so here. On the bike I’ve been sticking to the main roads!

I’m guessing you’ve had a tumble! Wet leaves have been a problem on the roads for about a week or so here. On the bike I’ve been sticking to the main roads!

A tumble and a half. Throw in mild concussion, 48 hours later the headache has eased up. My face is bit of a mess. Looks like I have been a few rounds with Mike aTyson! Knees too. Such a simple thing, yet so caught unawares.

Aft wet about 40 years of working on a variety of aircraft, I just don’t do that now. Built in radar?

Apart from trying not to slip on fallen leaves, walking Tinkerbell (see my avatar) in the woods takes on a whole new dimension now she is almost perfectly camouflaged and virtually invisible against the fallen leaves. The squirrel count has shot up!

@MichaelC I hope you make a full and speedy recovery.

Last edited:
Mike; very sorry to hear this. To reiterate Bob, how? My guess is cycling as it can't be trying to move your speakers. I thought that the American 'fall' related to the leaves rather than the consequences from them.

A tumble and a half. Throw in mild concussion, 48 hours later the headache has eased up. My face is bit of a mess. Looks like I have been a few rounds with Mike aTyson! Knees too. Such a simple thing, yet so caught unawares.

Wow, sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon.

I've spent lots of years in ski resorts (my parents ran a ski business) and the vast majority of injuries sustained by holidaymakers are from slipping up around town, and not to do with actually skiing. Ice or leaves makes little difference, the problem is that you tend to land on something very solid and hard, like a curb.

Hope the swelling goes down, sounds like you slipped forward by the sound of it which can be really nasty.

Damn, I bet that was sore, and no doubt you said "Oh gosh!" or something similar. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

The trouble is, at my age, I don't fall over, I have a fall. You know, whispered amongst old ladies "You know that Tony? Well, he had a fall!" "Oh no! What hospital's he in?"

I've spent lots of years in ski resorts (my parents ran a ski business) and the vast majority of injuries sustained by holidaymakers are from slipping up around town, and not to do with actually skiing. Ice or leaves makes little difference, the problem is that you tend to land on something very solid and hard, like a curb.

Hope the swelling goes down, sounds like you slipped forward by the sound of it which can be really nasty.

Better to fall forward than backwards: arms help. Not that either way is good.

Better to fall forward than backwards: arms help. Not that either way is good.

Agreed. The problem with falling forwards is if you can't get your hands down (people often walk with their hands in their pockets if it's cold) is that invariably your head hits the ground. Falling backwards you tend to land on your bum first, and although very painful, i'd rather land on that than my head. Saying that, the only time i've broken a wrist was slipping on ice, falling backwards, and putting a hand out which didn't end well. Again though, rather that than land on my head.

advertisement

Back