advertisement

Ouch....oh well....

canonman

pfm Member
No eBay but interesting.

A crappy old pair of ugly tall speakers were for sale in a general auction this week with no hint as to what was inside.

I guessed but waited until the last minute to ask for another photo of the rear. The reply showed everything inside too so obviously I was not the only one to guess (almost) correctly.

They contained Tannoy 15 inch BLACKS!!!!!

Item was pulled:(

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen two 15" blacks for sale together, just the very occasional single. Wonder if some sly fox got in there with a pre-auction offer.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen two 15" blacks for sale together, just the very occasional single. Wonder if some sly fox got in there with a pre-auction offer.
That's what I was thinking or they will re list properly in the future.

Same happened last year at my local auction house with a very rare Japanese turntable. Enquiry with the auctioneer on the day just brought a knowing smile.

Auctioneer got back to me and they will be in their June auction. Sadly for me, correctly described this time and with loads of photos.

Yeah it'd be nice to see what they go for.

I had a single 12" Black many years ago, bought it off a retired Tannoy engineer for £40.

I got my Snell Ref a5's that way off ebay - really, really bad ad(entry?) - I asked a bucketload of questions, sadly I wasn't the only one who'd seen the carcrash advert and done some research...

Well if it is I guess they still dont know what they have with the price estimate and what a description, its really tempting me in.

Well if it is I guess they still dont know what they have with the price estimate and what a description, its really tempting me in.

They do know what they have but it's standard auctioneer practice to underestimate to reel them in

:eek:

They were nice, but ye gods that's a mental price to pay. I bet they don't sound better than a pair of 15" golds in standard cabs.

The page opens to a hammer price of £14,000 for me, total fees low 20's%, so total price somewhat over £17,000, collected Dumfries.

Good investment? Near certainly - the cabinets looked dusty but fine, so tidy them up and there ought to be profit straight off if stuck in the right showroom somewhere south.

crazy money imho

LOL, same ol' story :) Horses for courses. If anyone has the money that they are willing to spend......

Until he retired recently, I worked with a 1950's music nut, expecially at scale, more so than at home. He had a DJ deck and various PA kit. The last conversation that I had with him, he was dumb-founded that his mate had just paid £60-70 or so for a cartridge!!

The page opens to a hammer price of £14,000 for me, total fees low 20's%, so total price somewhat over £17,000, collected Dumfries.

Good investment? Near certainly - the cabinets looked dusty but fine, so tidy them up and there ought to be profit straight off if stuck in the right showroom somewhere south.
Yes you’re right!

Weird, as I was watching the auction online - the bidding got to £14,500 very quickly and then stalled.

I do think they are probably a good investment, as said above they will probably go to China or Japan in new more aesthetically pleasing cabinets for about 25k :eek:

I bet some widow nearly had a heart attack as the price went up!!!

advertisement

Back