advertisement

Ouch.... Is it knackered?

D-C

pfm Member
I'm pretty sure my Questyle CAS192D toroidal transformer has died.

I can't turn the dac on and I'm seeing some bubbling on the outer casing of the above.

I've tried other power leads with no sign of life, they work on the other parts of the stack.

Any advice on this would be gratefully accepted.

Cheers,

Rob

That might be the over temperature cutout which is normally to be found under the top few layers.

ive never seen a transformer melted because they normally trip fuses or the thermal cutout long before they get that hot.

Couldn't smell anything from it on inspection.
I agree though, that bubble is concerning to me

Linnfo I'm down in Southend.

No multitester, or knowledge of how to check for a supply - is it easy to do if I get a multitester?

Have you ever been overjoyed by your own stupidity?
Well, I have- just now.

Left this alone for the last couple of weeks. Started testing things somewhat methodically aaand.. Yeah, t'was the plug, the fuse had gone.
I could have sworn I tested with a different cable at the time.. clearly not.
Anyways, no problems with the dac all working swimmingly again :D

Thanks again to all for chipping in.
I'll scurry off now .. into the corner with a big pointy cone on my head.

Keep an eye on the blisters on the transformer anyway -- just in case the fuse blowing was signaling an underlying issue.

Keep an eye on the blisters on the transformer anyway -- just in case the fuse blowing was signaling an underlying issue.

Will do sir, yeah, if it cuts out in spite of the change of power cable I think I'll have to get it looked at. Never missed a heart up to now though (famous last words).

advertisement

Back