advertisement

Otolaryngologists

I just go to the petrol station put the air line in one ear and blow all the wax out of the other. OK, so there's a bit of blood, some bone and a lot of brain matter that comes out at the same time, but that only seems to damage my hearing, my short-term memory and my short-term memory.

PS. If you are thinking this is a good idea, I have a Darwin Award waiting for you.

My grandfather was in the Navy. He said they used to cure the sailors' crab lice by shaving down the middle, setting fire to one side, and shooting the little buggers as they jumped across. You couldn't do it now - the antis would report you.

Ear wax does have a purpose in keeping the eardrum flexible. Overly fastidious de-waxing may do more harm than good.

Having wax removed from the ear will of course alter the frequency response the brain perceives but AIUI the brain soon adjusts.

Poking around with firm implements as shown in the video does not strike me as a particularly good idea.

Rather uneventful visit, ears were very clean, he removed a bit of wax with a metal instrument probably similar to the one in the video. I had another test that found that I had a minor problem with one of the eustachian tubes, received an antibiotic/steriod prescription for that. Took a hearing test and my hearing was very good.

I messed around a couple weeks ago with a cleaning kit with Debrox drops and a bulb syringe then flew a day or so later, likely the cause of my discomfort. The doc said Debrox is useless and cleaning generally unnecessary for most people. Nice to know all is well and the meds should clear things up in a couple days.

Glad to hear things went well John. My wife tried Debrox and Q-tips on me and like you, it resulted in a visit to my GP for proper care after the pain got worse with a boulder she couldn't see now pushed against my eardrum.

No more bodging for me by medical tinkers.

I am a GP in OZ and we remove ear wax several times a week . It is a basic run of the mill procedure . Best done after using wax softening drops [Waxsol] for about 3 days . Can be done with large metal syringe/nozzle or finer intravenous plastic tube .

I am a GP in OZ . We do this several times a week . It is a basic run of the mill procedure . Best done after 3 days of wax softening drops [ e.g.waxsol ] . Can be done with large metal syring/nozzle or with ordinary syring/fine plastic tubing . Water should be approx body temp otherwise may cause severe temprorary vertigo. Must NOT be done if history of previous ear drum injury/perforation etc . Will need ear plugs at night afterwards to block out noise of partner snoring !

When i did my compulsory military service here in Sweden, one of the not so pretty nurses decided I needed a cleaning in my ears. She produced a hideous and huge syringe looking device, earlier used for enema, filled it with hot soupy water and started to, forcefully, squirt it into my head.

I survived, and don't think my hearing was actually impaired because of that. But I have carefully avoided anything like it since.

JohanR

Glad to hear things went well John. My wife tried Debrox and Q-tips on me and like you, it resulted in a visit to my GP for proper care after the pain got worse with a boulder she couldn't see now pushed against my eardrum.

No more bodging for me by medical tinkers.

I've used hydrogen peroxide before and it works IMO much better than Debrox, I love the sound it makes while it's doing it's thing. A paper clip works better than a Q-tip, just don't go in too far!

advertisement

Back