advertisement

Oscilloscope - Cheap, Cheerful & Chinese

It is a toy, but there have been times when I'm fault finding on-site or in the listening room when I could have done with something like this to trace an analogue signal. I think I count 3 times over the last 10 years, and that's why I've never bought one.

It is a toy, but there have been times when I'm fault finding on-site or in the listening room when I could have done with something like this to trace an analogue signal. I think I count 3 times over the last 10 years, and that's why I've never bought one.

I have a Tektronix 2215 permanently in the living room... as of course any serious enthusiast would...:rolleyes::)

Both my scopes are in my bedroom. That little jobby is powered by 9v, so could be used with a pp9 or one of those usb 5v to 9v converters and a powerbank. Seems very useful to me if you get caught scopeless on the way to the shops or halfway down the stairs. They can be found as kits or fully built on the usual sites for £16 or so too, and the power cable thing is only a couple of quid. I don't need one, but I'm very tempted....
I just bought one of those Aneng AN8008 multimeters as recommended in another thread, seems jolly good too=)

Edit for update.... Well turns out I couldn't resist, and I accidentally clicked on the "buy" buttons on ebay. More Chinese slow boat waiting for me. A man has to have a hobby. Mine seems to be waiting for stuff=)

The originator of these is JYETech, but there are many clones out there. I bought one a while back for £20 from Amazon. I've bodged mine to include a LiPo/charger board and step converter in the original casing, and to expose the USART so I can try (eventually) some of the open source firmware options out there.

There are various bodging discussions on the JYETech forum as well as schematics etc. on the main website. It's main value is as an educational tool and it does that well IMHO. Anyway, now I have a portable scope for those times of need, which unfortunately has never happened. But I live in hope!

IMG_20190927_215901

tek_535a.jpg

tek_ca_innen.jpg

Call that an oscilloscope? /\ This is an oscilloscope!

Packed with Telefunken ultra low noise preamp valves

No valve is a "pre amp valve". They have all sorts of uses. Amperex would be the most usual make in a Tek scope and I hope there is a special place in hell for those who destroy Tek scopes by removing all the valves for sale to audiophools!

advertisement

Back