advertisement

OS Mojave not reading Z50 NEF files

Rockmeister

pfm Member
As above. Importing all new filesinto 'Photo', my usual prelude to editing, all NEF files are just blank white squares. Checking the Apple site suggests that Z50 is unsupported (it's only been out a couple of years so...thanks Apple). Anyway. if this is right can anyone suggest a simple work flow to conver Z50NEFs into something lossless and workable? TIFF? DNG??

Thanks

Could you use Nikon's free NX studio software to convert the RAWs for editing in your preferred photo editor?

Lefty

Had a similar problem with Olympus raw files - Mac wouldn't touch them.

Had to install the latest Olympus Viewer app (from Olympus, not App Store) and that sorted it, now open fine in Preview on my Mac.

Strange - I'm on Big Sur and photos has no problem with NEF files from a Z50 I briefly owned last year. Might be worth going to latest OS?

Could you use Nikon's free NX studio software to convert the RAWs for editing in your preferred photo editor?

Lefty

Good call - it's replaced Capture NX-D on my (Mojave) iMac now and does pretty much all that I need. :)

Still having probs of all kinds, both via card reader and when connected via USB. Some files are just blank, some missing altogether. I'm going to try a newSD card shortly, but even some JPEG's don't show. The cam sees them fine but nothing wants to read them
I do have a love/hate relationship with macs, and changing to Big Sur last night took 4 hours and ofc now, NOTHING is as normal....

GRRRRRRRRR.
Steam from ears time :(

iMac Retina 5K 27"
3.4 Ghz Quad core i5 etc.
However all seems ok this AM. It occurs to me that trying to load 30 NEF files (quite large when i looked up the stats) might require patience even give 24 Gb RAM and an SSD drive.

ha. What I have just got is an external card reader, because on inserting SD card into wifes apple laptop, it opened and loaded 30 JPEGS in about 15 seconds.
I did think about buggering about cleaning the contacts inside the Mac's SD card slot, since 'wiggling it about a bit' sometimes makes it workt hat well (and sometimes not) but generally thought £15 quid for a reader was going to be safer, and a good bit less than an Apple repair!

advertisement

Back