advertisement

Ortofon's MC Anna and 12" arms

What adjustments on the fly? I had a V for many years and couldn't adjust anything on the fly. In fact, beautifully engineered for accurate set-up it may be, it was a bit of a laborious task for VTA, I found. Adjustment of overhang by sled may be 'safer' than by headshell slots, but is no more effective or easier, i.m.o.

You can adjust anti-skate on the fly. The Series V is a joy to handle and set-up. Very easy to follow the instructions.

The only aspect of its adjustment I dont like is the way the VTA adjustment works. Obviously it requires the jaws of the clamp to be loose & then turning the threaded rod to force the assembly upwards means applying an offset force which is trying to tilt the pillar from vertical. I've encountered other arms that do this better. But, to be fair, I generally just adjust the height manually until the horizontal lines along the tube are parallel with the record for the cartridge in use. I don't bother with the threaded rod at all.

You can adjust anti-skate on the fly. The Series V is a joy to handle and set-up. Very easy to follow the instructions.

Well, yes, you can. In practice, though, I found the knob a little on the stiff side, a bit close to the lift/lowering device and virtually non-adjustable when the arm is nearing the centre of the record.

Agree with everything else, of course.

A minor annoyance was the lift/lowering device failing to 'engage' with arm up. This lack of positivity was surprising, and nearly caused accidents a number of times.

Ah, the threaded rod adjustment for VTA was what I thought could be done on the fly. Certainly wouldn't change from IV just for that. Does any one use the damping facility on the V? The only two people I know with the V prefer the sound without damping.
BR,
Keith.

Ah, the threaded rod adjustment for VTA was what I thought could be done on the fly. Certainly wouldn't change from IV just for that. Does any one use the damping facility on the V? The only two people I know with the V prefer the sound without damping.
BR,
Keith.

I don't use damping. The other difference is dynamic balance on the V versus static for the IV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, yes, you can. In practice, though, I found the knob a little on the stiff side, a bit close to the lift/lowering device and virtually non-adjustable when the arm is nearing the centre of the record.

Agree with everything else, of course.

A minor annoyance was the lift/lowering device failing to 'engage' with arm up. This lack of positivity was surprising, and nearly caused accidents a number of times.

Nothing stiff about my knob.

No idea what you mean about the lift/lowering device, either.

The more time I spend in the audio room, the more I realise that doing or thinking the polar opposite of what is advised here is correct.

Do you also own queen or dire straits? Robert plant or springsteen?

How many thousand lps? Less than 1000?

Do you also own queen or dire straits? Robert plant or springsteen?

How many thousand lps? Less than 1000?

I'm beginning to wonder whether you want to know what toothpaste I'm using.

Relax. I have several LPs.

Perhaps I have, Jek, and perhaps I haven't. Where does it say this is any of your business? What if I spent a thousand times more on equipment than music? How would that be of any interest to anyone except me?

advertisement

Back