advertisement

Ortofon Verso with Hadcock headshell

brab

pfm Member
It's getting difficult to find cartridges for the Hadcock threaded headshell. Ortofon 2M Verso cartridges seem to come with M2 alternative bolts for some reason. Would these fit through the M2.5 Hadcock threads and allow the Verso cartridges to be held in place with M2 nuts?

Verso does allow for the M2.0 threaded screws to be changed out via removal/replacement of the top plate. It might be possible to first mount the cartridge top plate via threading the screws up through both the top plate and Hadcock headshell, and then reassemble the body via access to the top plate fastener through the elongated central slot within the headshell. Assuming the latter is possible, then M2.0 nuts could be fit from above. Trouble is, the position of the top plate fastener isn't very far back from the line of the two mounting screws.

A rather fuzzy top view of 2M Verso:
file.php

Thanks. I'm not really understanding what's going on with the Verso version and why, but, is it the case that the bolts sticking out of the top plate are M2 threaded? If that's the case, and they are the right distance apart, then shouldn't they fit through the M2.5 threaded holes of the Hadcock headshell?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Knowing Ortofon, Verso will have perfect 1/2" mounting centres. The fitted screws might simply push through, or they may have to be loosely threaded through. The latter would require removal of the cartridge top plate followed by reassembly after threading up through the headshell, as per above. I don't imagine there to be enough clearance to refasten the cartridge top plate via the headshell opening though.

Here's something interesting, translated from vinylcentre.se (I'm going to assume that 'pulled' should be 'fastened')...

"VERSO version of 2M BLACK

For tonearm shells where the pickup screws must be pulled from the bottom up into the threaded tonearm shell. Screw dimension M2,5x4 is pre-assembled but can be replaced with the supplied M2,0x4. The screws are tightened with the included Torx wrench. The screws can only be pulled when the needle is removed so the adjustment becomes a bit cumbersome, but what to do if the screws can not be pulled from the top!

The screws protrude approximately 2.5 mm, so if you need to use longer screws than those included, these must have a countersunk head as they are countersunk in the detachable top plate. Of course, the screw head does not have to be of the torx type."

ortofon%202m%20verso%20vinylcenter%2002.jpg

So, it seems that the factory fit M2.5 fasteners can simply be screwed up into the Hadcock headshell from below after removal of the stylus assembly(?). It sure looks like it.

Nothing on the Ortofon site, nor within the 2M manual, seems to make this clear.

P.S. Ortofon's 2M web page mentions 2 x Screw M2,0 x 6 as being included accessories, along with 1 x Allen key Torx 6 and 1 x Allen key Torx 8; the latter making it clearer that they intend some fastening of mounting screws (not just changing the M2.5 out for the smaller sized ones).

advertisement

Back