advertisement

Ortofon Cadenza Bronze

karma67

pfm Member
As an early Christmas present to myself a couple of weeks ago i decided to buy a cadenza bronze.
Having enjoyed both my kontrapunkt b's the natural replacement would be the cadenza blue but after spending a few nights reading up on it and the bronze i got more and more intrigued by the bronzes stylus, the Ortofon replicant 100. This stylus is also used on Ortofons £5500 mc Anna cartridge so it cant be bad right?

qRIa7CM.jpg

The cadenza bronze uses a conical aluminium cantilever which initially put me slightly off, what no boran ?? One could argue though that a cartridge is the sum of all its parts and not just one. Also the reported warmth compared to blue's dynamic sound also had me questioning my choice.
In the end i went with the bronze and i spent the next week slowly setting it up correctly, the VTA/SRA seemed easy to get in the ball park as you have a flat facet at the rear of the shank to aim to be vertical. This wasn't too hard to eyeball using a 15x loupe, the small tweaking was done later using my ears.

97aIGdM.jpg

Next was azimuth, i have two tools for this, first a mono recording of Joan Sutherland and also an oscilloscope. i first used my ears to get her voice as narrow as possible (in width) and well centered, her voice also gets more powerful and you get a sense of seeing the words being formed in the mouth, well at least i do lol. When this is achieved i confirm i have minimum crosstalk using the scope. Getting this right really makes a big difference to the soundstage and vocal presence. if the vocals are wide and bloated your azimuth is out. At this point antiskate is dialled in which is a bit of a juggling act with azimuth ,going back and forth between the two.

uyP8qXm.jpg

Tracking weight was set at 2.5 grams as recommended by Ortofon .My first impression were good, it bettered my previous cartridge with ease, It has a good soundstage somewhat wider than the kontrapunkt b although not as good in the top end, it needs more time i thought so i carried listening to as much vinyl as possible. About 3 days into ownership the bronze came on song and the top end came to life, one of the things mentioned about the replicant 100 stylus is it reduces surface noise, it does this very well as some of my more played vinyl is now a lot quieter .
Which brings me up to date, im sure its run in now as the detail this cartridge is retrieving is awesome, more than the KB's Fritz Geiger ever did for sure, the depth of sound stage is also very deep.im not going to go on too much as to how it sounds suffice to say iam very happy with my purchase, my first relatively high end new cartridge has taken my listening experience up a few notches.

dfUanWr.jpg

Out of interest what's the rest of the TT rig? Have you tried it at the lower tracking force?

I'm dead chuffed with mine, had it about 2 weeks on a 1200G.

the tt is a sony tts-8000 going through a paradise phono stage. ive not played with tracking force yet but will soon.

the tt is a sony tts-8000 going through a paradise phono stage. ive not played with tracking force yet but will soon.
Nice deck! 20/20 hindsight - I should have bought one instead of their ES CD player back in the day, that’s long gone but the TT would still be here I guess.

I’m running the bronze at 2.5g for now, have a few mats and head shells to choose from before fine tuning everything but right away it has been brilliant, the 1200G/Bronze is one of the best things I’ve bought for the main system in many a year.

Stage is a Luxman EQ-500.

I have always fancied a Bronze. I have a Jubilee which tracks at 2.3 although using it as second choice at present.

Had the bronze and now got the blue , i think the bronze has the edge , but that cantilever is very soft so be aware bends easy , drop the arm thats all it takes , enjoy . phil.

Had the bronze and now got the blue , i think the bronze has the edge , but that cantilever is very soft so be aware bends easy , drop the arm thats all it takes , enjoy . phil.
I would certainly second that I had previously have had two Blues that I was very pleased with, but the latest had just about come to the end of its life. I was considering trading it in for another Blue, but as I had also just changed speakers I thought the Bronze would be the better tonal match.

It was/is and it is a bit of a step up in overall detail retrieval and sound staginging as well. At the same time I bought it I also bought a Cadenza Mono for my second arm, but that came sometime later as it was not in stock at Henley. I had installed the Bronze while waiting for the mono, but noticed the stylus guard was a much tighter fit than that on the previous Blue. When the mono arrived I had real problems eliminating Hum and decided to switch cartridges between arms to isolate the problem. I only just about touched the stylus on the Bronze when refitting it and it bent the cantilever and the cartridge, with just a few hours on it, was unusable. I had always replaced the stylus guards on the Blues in the past without problems.

Henley were pretty fair when I contacted them and returned the cartridge. They did not accept the stylus guard was a problem though, but did let me have a new Bronze at the rebuild cost. Still a very expensive mistake. :mad::(

Both cartridges now reinstalled and working fine, but I leave the stylus guards OFF now! ;)

One thing to note about the Cadenzas and most Ortofon's ( I had quazars previously) is that you do really need to get the alignment spot on and then you don't want to judge them too soon. They need at least 50 hours on them to start to come 'on song' then an alignment check and they don't really sound their best till you pass about 100 hours.

Planning on playing a bunch of LPs then have a crack at the final setup, so far I’m very happy with it so getting a bit more out of it will be a nice bonus. Got a cracking deal on it, early Xmas present to myself.

Did you not try to claim on your home insurance? I’ve read a few posts where folk have had a claim/payout agreed.

I hate stylus guards, I think they're more risky than leaving it off completely.

There are stylus guards and stylus guards. Lyras and Koetsus, lovely. Benz is conspicuous by its absence and Trandfig, is impossible. I think the Linn and Roksan guards were okay (hazy memory). However, a guard is useful for setting up or putting aside but why would one want to faff around putting one on once everything is up and running?

I would certainly second that I had previously have had two Blues that I was very pleased with, but the latest had just about come to the end of its life. I was considering trading it in for another Blue, but as I had also just changed speakers I thought the Bronze would be the better tonal match.

It was/is and it is a bit of a step up in overall detail retrieval and sound staginging as well. At the same time I bought it I also bought a Cadenza Mono for my second arm, but that came sometime later as it was not in stock at Henley. I had installed the Bronze while waiting for the mono, but noticed the stylus guard was a much tighter fit than that on the previous Blue. When the mono arrived I had real problems eliminating Hum and decided to switch cartridges between arms to isolate the problem. I only just about touched the stylus on the Bronze when refitting it and it bent the cantilever and the cartridge, with just a few hours on it, was unusable. I had always replaced the stylus guards on the Blues in the past without problems.

Henley were pretty fair when I contacted them and returned the cartridge. They did not accept the stylus guard was a problem though, but did let me have a new Bronze at the rebuild cost. Still a very expensive mistake. :mad::(

Both cartridges now reinstalled and working fine, but I leave the stylus guards OFF now! ;)

One thing to note about the Cadenzas and most Ortofon's ( I had quazars previously) is that you do really need to get the alignment spot on and then you don't want to judge them too soon. They need at least 50 hours on them to start to come 'on song' then an alignment check and they don't really sound their best till you pass about 100 hours.
The stylus gaurd was tight on my bronze , but fits great on the blue aswell , phil.

There are stylus guards and stylus guards. Lyras and Koetsus, lovely. Benz is conspicuous by its absence and Trandfig, is impossible. I think the Linn and Roksan guards were okay (hazy memory). However, a guard is useful for setting up or putting aside but why would one want to faff around putting one on once everything is up and running?

I preferred to use one as my L-07D it is only covered with a cloth cover as there is no lid and no space on the TT support to use one. I have had no trouble with Koetsu's (those are very good and easy to use), Denon's and and a long term use of Cadenza Blues, about 10 years, where the guards slipped on and off easily. The guard on the Bronze is the same, but it is a really tight fit. My new Mono is no better in that respect. I was in this instance just putting it on while changing arms and setup. I think a Blues ruby cantilever is probably more robust and would have probably survived the slight knock?

Nice one Jamie ,
Bronze is a sweet spot in Cadenza range IMO , I have owned Blue and had Black on home demo at the same time as Bronze and I preferred Bronze as it was more coherent across the frequency range . I did have few problems with my first two Bronzes but Ortofon replaced them with no massive issues and third one works great ,
aluminum tube cantilever is not greatest as it creates some distortion around 7-9kHz but embedded and additionally glued stylus has a big mechanical advantage on Blue and Black .Enjoy

Re the cantilever material, I have read that boron has become much more expensive, which is why Ortofon no longer use it in the Cadenza range.

I preferred to use one as my L-07D it is only covered with a cloth cover as there is no lid and no space on the TT support to use one. I have had no trouble with Koetsus (those are very good and easy to use)
I was not covered for accidental damage to the HiFi, but I'm now looking to change insurers.

SME decks used to be sold with a plastic cover, which is very poor considering the price, let alone dangerous. Surely there must be some space around the deck (as I imagine it's on a table or wall shelf) to get a 3mm cover made up to your spec's to fit over. I couldn't imagine living with a bigger dust trap than it is even WITH a lid !:) Koetsus and Lyras, as I said, have well thought out guards (no apostrophes in forming plurals, b.t.w.) but I still wouldn't want to use them on a regular basis, esp. after a few glasses of wine.

Most contents policies come with an A-V section which carries accidental damage regardless of the other contents, so am surprised yours didn't. However, excesses and possible premium hikes, even when changing insurers, may mitigate against a claim. If it's a £4K+ Koetsu, maybe a different matter!;)

Re the cantilever material, I have read that boron has become much more expensive, which is why Ortofon no longer use it in the Cadenza range.
Boron Rod global shortage in 2019 & price very high still in 2020
Ortofon still offer boron , but newer top models offer diamond cantilevers

advertisement

Back