advertisement

Original and clone sonic difference : Lehmann Black Cube Linear and Matrix M-Stage

hifienthusiast

Vintage by heart
I have bought a M-Stage headphone amp made by Matrix in China. It is a clone of the Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear. One can get the Matrix for about 145 pounds and the Lehmann costs about 500 pounds.

The circuit layout is nearly identical and the components of the Matrix are very high quality including Nichicon capcacitors. There are obvious a few diferences between the two amps, including transformers, circuit layout, etc.

I am very pleased with the sound of the Matrix. It has enough power to drive some 600 ohm Beyerdyanmic DT880. Some people reported that the Matrix sounds warmer than the Lehmann. I have never heard the Lehmann.

I am curious that if the Matrix is built with high quality components, the sound should be very similar to the Lehmann but costs a fraction of the original. What contributes to the sound difference if there is any?

Lehmann Black Cube Linear
201081251266327.jpg

Matrix M-Stage
6b479c8d_DSC_2391.jpg

Assuming they haven't ballsed up the circuit. The much cheaper traffo may be audible. The Lehman one looks to be higher VA and I'll lay good money it's gossbanded as well.

Other than that's parts quality and component matching. Check the opamps ate the same model and same spec. I'd imagine matching on the four transistors that constitute the gain stage makes an audible difference.

It's a copy though, St the end of the day do you want to reward a company for stealing the work of another?

I agree with sq225917.
People need to value the guys that actually developes stuff.
If we only buy copies, the developement will stop.

I am very pleased with the sound of the Matrix. It has enough power to drive some 600 ohm Beyerdyanmic DT880. Some people reported that the Matrix sounds warmer than the Lehmann. I have never heard the Lehmann.

Apologies for slightly derailing the thread, but I would like to ask a question: does it power your Beyerdynamic DT880 significantly (well let's be happy with `noticeably') better than the headphone jack of a separates CD player / speaker's amp?

I ask because I've yet to find one of these cheap-ish headphone amps that powers my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm better than the headphone jacks from my speaker hifi chain (Marantz CD63II KI, an old Creek Evo, an old Harman Kardon 680 amp).

Headphone amps I've tried: Little Dot mkIII OTL, Lake People G109. Both sent back. I'm now considering a Lehmann, but I'm not sure given my experiences.

advertisement

Back