1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ordinal Woes

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Lancastrian, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Lancastrian

Lancastrian Well-Known Member

Having had my PT Ordinal DAC since late 1993, the capacitors finally succumbed from 24 years of use. It was only due to an inspection ahead of a HDCD filter chipset arriving, that I saw some signs of something awry.

Twenty-two 2200uf/16v LXF capacitors
    [​IMG] by Ian Allen, on Flickr

Signs of leakage

The mess after removal

Post clean up
    [​IMG]by Ian Allen, on Flickr

Populated with new Nichicon KA type 2200uf/16v capacitors.
    [​IMG]by Ian Allen, on Flickr

Thanks to Nick Lucas at HiFi Collective as I was able to pop round and pick up the capacitors and complete the repair in an afternoon.

Ian

2. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Good catch and save...

3. snowman_al

snowman_al pfm Member

+1.

Also interesting how the electrolyte has only attacked and 'etched' the negative poles.

4. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Electroplating?

Pete

5. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

Is this a common failure?

I'd always assumed that a cursory glance at the top of electrolytics was sufficient: i.e. the triangulated top is designed to burst and that's where any leak will be. This is clearly wrong, although it does seem to apply to those in the MDAC.

6. df_genius

df_genius Solder slinger

Sometimes they bulge out at the top, others they leak out of the bottom. Good job but have you checked the voltages they are seeing before replacing with 16V parts? it could be close to their voltage rating, this will shorten their life

7. Lancastrian

Lancastrian Well-Known Member

One of the issues is physical can size restriction, and with the 105 degree requirement, there is a limit to what is out there, of good enough quality that is. Nichicon do have a 25v version with the same diameter, and doing some research last night, they even have a 3300uF 25v version with the same 12.5mm diameter, so at a later stage I could move to these.

Ian