advertisement

Orb ...The Dream

nickl

pfm Member
Haven't seen anything here about this, so ...

It's been a while since a seriously good Orb album, though Bicycles And Tricycles was pretty decent, but this is top rank. On this album they're Patterson, Youth (again) and Tim Bran (formerly Dreadzone) and it's packed with trippy dubness and some cracking tunes.

Overall I'd say the leading influence was Bran - the album (especially towards the end) has a spacey, cinematic feel that would grace either of the first two Dreadzone albums (360 degrees, Second Light).

Excellent.

Are you including The Orb - Oakey Dokey, it's the Orb on Kompakt in yr musings?

And the associated Komfort and Komplott ?

DS

Yes, I have The Dream and it's spending a lot of time in my player. A welcome return to form.

yeah, I've been a fan for years - but they have lost the way in recent years...will check this one out...

Have the Orb done anything that has got into even the same ballpark as Journeys Beyond The Ultraworld and the first 4 or 5 12" singles yet? I loved them early on and saw them quite a few times in the late 80s-early 90s, superb stuff, but I thought they lost their way badly after UFOrb. I'm curious to know if they ever recovered at all.

Tony.

Have the Orb done anything that has got into even the same ballpark as Journeys Beyond The Ultraworld and the first 4 or 5 12" singles yet? I loved them early on and saw them quite a few times in the late 80s-early 90s, superb stuff, but I thought they lost their way badly after UFOrb. I'm curious to know if they ever recovered at all.

Tony.
Depends on what you mean by recovered.

Is The Dream as startlingly original as UFOrb or Ultraworld? No, because those albums helped define/invent a genre and this new one isn't breaking any new ground really.

Is it musically enjoyable? Yes, extremely. It's less rambling/loose than those early gems, but for me it's got the perfect vibe between early Orb and early Dreadzone with at least three cracking songs on it.

I'll have to give it a listen. Saw The Orb quite a lot in the early '90s.

I was with Alex Patterson in a bar next to Hasa Studios II on the 9th of November 1989. We were having a chat about Brian Eno and the fact that Bowie had recorded Heroes and Low in Hansa. Suddenly the front door burst open and somebody shouted that people were beginning to tear down the Wall.

We thought he was taking the piss, but we walked out of the bar and, sure enough, a 100 yards down the road people were standing on top of the wall. One of them was slamming it with with a sledgehammer.

Everybody had quite a party that night, that's for sure.

Jack

Journeys Beyond The Ultraworld

A tough act to follow!!!

I've just ordered "The dream" for £7.99 from Play - gotta be worth it for 2.5 pints (can't believe a Newcastle Brown now sets me back £3 at the bar = not going to the bar at all. Shot-in-foot syndrome, Gordon Brown???

advertisement

Back