advertisement

Optical Digital Cable

webster

Listen & enjoy.
Can anyone recommend one of the above that can reliably play 24/96 flac files.
I recently bit the bullet and acquired a Bluesound Vault 2 and to my ears the optical out is the best sounding
of the available options but my existing cable doesn't want to play ball with anything over 24/44.1:(
I'd be most grateful for any guidance.

I recently bit the bullet and acquired a Bluesound Vault 2 and to my ears the optical out is the best sounding
of the available options but my existing cable doesn't want to play ball with anything over 24/44.1:(

Are you sure it is the cable and not settings? Any cable within specs should do 96 kHz.

Are you sure it is the cable and not settings? Any cable within specs should do 96 kHz.
I can't be certain as I'm still in 'discovery' mode with the Vault but nothing jumps out of the page at me.
I'm using a QED Profile cable but it is 5 metres long - don't know whether that would have a negative effect?

I would have thought the QED would be of sufficient quality for it not to be the problem (assuming no damage). 5m would probably be your lot in practice though.

Can you rig something up temporarily with a shorter cheapo cable? It would potentially remove one variable.

I have tried Maplins cheapest, an intermediate plastic jobbie and a pure glass (thats got to be better) and they all sounded the same. Perhaps I’m devoid of discernment.

I would have thought the QED would be of sufficient quality for it not to be the problem (assuming no damage). 5m would probably be your lot in practice though.

Can you rig something up temporarily with a shorter cheapo cable? It would potentially remove one variable.
It's the cable I was using to connect between my TV and external dac - hence the length.
I need to buy something and would probably go for 1 metre in length.
I really wasn't expecting optical to be the best sounding output from the Vault.The dac in the Vault is no match for the Rega Dac R and the
coaxial out adds bass into my system but not in a good way.

I can't be certain as I'm still in 'discovery' mode with the Vault but nothing jumps out of the page at me.
I'm using a QED Profile cable but it is 5 metres long - don't know whether that would have a negative effect?
5m is about the limit that Toslink officially supports, but should still work. Likewise 24/96 is the max officially supported, although 24/192 sometimes works. I would get in touch with QED, they may be prepared to help you out. Alternatively just try a different cable, if only to eliminate it as a fault. You can always return it.
I have one of those Flashback ones, it’s good, but very stiff and a PITA to get in place.

I use a a 5m cable for precisely that reason,the only problem I have ever had is with the quality of the connectors which can sometimes be abysmally poor and simply do not want to sit square.
Try at least to get a cable that is decently flexible to try to avoid putting too much strain on the connection.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AUY92EA/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
I use this one with no problem.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I need to fess up!
My problems have all been self inflicted - I've not been pushing either connector in far enough.
A one-horse race for the dipstick of the day award.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately Toslink is a very loose standard, and there is too much variability in the connectors. It’s common for them to be a loose fit, or occasionally a little tight.

Unfortunately Toslink is a very loose standard, and there is too much variability in the connectors. It’s common for them to be a loose fit, or occasionally a little tight.
Well they're nice and snug now and everything sound great.:)
Thanks to all who tried to help.

The one connecting my Panasonic TV to my Q Acoustics M2 is very loose and can easily fall out when dusting.

A friend had problems with his Toslink until he realised you are supposed to remove the protective tip before use!

The one connecting my Panasonic TV to my Q Acoustics M2 is very loose and can easily fall out when dusting.

A friend had problems with his Toslink until he realised you are supposed to remove the protective tip before use!
I actually broke the plastic flap on my TV a couple of years ago hence my initial reluctance to push too hard now.

advertisement

Back