advertisement

OPPO BDP-105D Signature by Audiocom International

zekezebra

pfm Member
Hi all, I’m putting this in the audio section as I’m more interested in the sound quality rather than video although improved picture quality would be a bonus.

Has anyone here had the opportunity to hear this universal player, especially compared to the standard machine? I recently sold my C.D. player and still have a Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Sonos for streaming and PMC AML2 Speakers.

Using the Oppo would further reduce the box count (get rid of the Benchmark) as well as having a C.D. player back as I do have a few SACD’s.

The OPPO BDP-105D Signature by Audiocom is about twice the price of a standard machine so I guess it would need to be significantly better!

Thanks for any input.

It's a lot of money to play a few SACDs:)
If you only intend to use it in stereo Muzzer may well be correct - that the Chevron modded Pioneer may well provide what is required.
I do have the Audiocom Sig. Oppo but have never compared it with the standard version.
I like that I can use it to process the TV and Amazon Fire TV audio streams, stream Tidal (controlled from an Android tablet) and play all disc formats - but of course the standard player does that.
It isn't easy to audition (Audiocom are in Pembrokeshire) but if you are near me (Chorley Lancs) come and have a listen, I think it's sublime (with a Leak stereo 20 and ELS57s)
Jim

Hi Jim, thanks for that. I would hope it could replace my Benchmark DAC so as well as C.D's also Sonos for streaming Deezer and NAS,

Sorry for the confusion, I would continue to use my NAS and Sonos so using the Oppo as a DAC, C.D. player, video player and pre for my active speakers.

Hi zekezebra - did you pursue this? I'm thinking of a pretty similar use-case to you too: my ageing Oppo 83 needs replacing, I have a Sonos that is missing an external DAC, I have a chance to eleiminate a passive pre, I want to process TV stream, I want a Bluetooth input. The 105 appears to kill all these birds with one stone.

Oppo already put a lot of effort into making the 105 sound good. I should imagine any aftermarket variants offering very diminished returns but have not listened to any.

Here's a small example of 'blind' testing: In error, I ran an Oppo 103 direct and not through my DAC and it took about a week to notice.

I was thinking of the standard 105D in my case. It does not do Bluetooth - I was confusing it with the Oppo HA-1 DAC, which does, which I was considering initially: it has the same DAC chip as the 105 so why not upgrade the DVD player at the same time, I thought. The only things I would lose over the DAC would be analog in and Bluetooth in, AFAICT.

Yeah, I got this player & I bought the standard before,
took it back a day later and asked if they'd let me upgrade to the bigger one w/o loss
despite I unpacked it's smaller bro at home.

They said, yes, hence I have the bigger one now.

The audio quality for movies is significantly better than the smaller one,
cinema sound is phantastic.

It does not float my boat in playing music on CD, meaning it does not outshine my stone-age Linn Karik-Numerik combi.

I know that's against all logic, dual Sabre and so on, but despite I tried to like it,
it's not a dedicated Hi-Fi machine to me, it is optimised on cinema I think and that is what it does excellently.

I listen to my Linn Karik-Numerik still on CD despite the Oppo is placed next to it.

I know logic is telling otherwise, old dac vs. new etc,,to me the Karik does the music

& it is likely had I only the Oppo I would listen to records only but hardly CD.

Make of that what you want or try it yourself, to me the Oppo does not replace a higher

value or good dedicated CD player.

A week or 2 after i got my standard 105D a fella i know brought his Audiocom modified one over for the evening and i have to say as much as im impressed with my standard 105D the Audiocom machine was very impressive i remember the timing/clocking was stunning i just wish i had had the chance to of listened to the Audiocom one first because i think i might just of opted for the Audiocom 105D even though its 2k more i have also considered having mine modified by Audiocom but decided to spend money elsewhere in the my system

...forget my post above, I have the normal Oppo 105D

just realized the Audiocom is 3.400 UKP,
that is about 3 times of what I paid.

Sorry for the nonsense post.

Just to say I've arrived a little late for the show, receiving a normal 105D a couple of days ago. It fills its intended role in a second system as a player and preamp well. Cabling is simplified and the SO is content operating things like volume and source selection with one remote or an iphone app. I'm impressed by the picture, sound and build quality. I eliminated a preamp, some analogue cabling and an HDMI switcher by routing digitally through the Oppo.

The need for Apple TV/Airplay is almost eliminated by getting Netflix as an Oppo app and Youtube also as an Oppo app, with an i-device paired with the Youtube app (so that Youtube commands-only are sent by wi-fi, not the whole stream). There is still a slight need for Airplay for example to airplay a video from Facebook.

(Sat tuner, Sonos Connect, Apple TV > 105D > Linn Klimax twin > Linn 212+sub)

advertisement

Back