advertisement

Opinions Wanted on 'Main' and 'Secondary' systems

Auralsaga

Hi folks,

Looking for a bit of spit balling really. These are my set-ups:
  • Audiolab 8000s, pre amp, 2 power amps, CDT, M-DAC into Epos ES11 speakers
  • Roksan Caspian, Rega Planet CDP, Bluesound Node 2i streamer into Ruark Templar Mk1 speakers
  • Chord Mojo DAC (not currently attached to either system at the moment)
I was on my hi-fi (journey) during lockdown after many, many years of not bothering really. I had a NAD 3020i since young and I was all good with it. Figured i'd get back into enjoying music. Although the NAD is a great amp (now sold). So, started off with the Audiolab kit. Couldn't listen to any given lockdown, so took a punt at it. The system sounds great.

However...I bought a Roksan Caspian (to use in a second system) (after switching out an Exposure Power Amp, as I couldn't find a pre-amp at a sensible price. Loved the Exposure). However, the Roksan sounds great and for a second system I wanted an integrated amp only, but I've now started veering towards the Roksan over my 'main' system.

Is there any combination that i'm missing with the Audiolab. I've not really switched stuff between the two systems.

Part of me is thinking that as I have nice amps. The solution may be to upgrade speakers significantly, but unsure what would be in-line with the quality of what i've got, or do I stay put with what I have?

As I say, both sound great, but wondering if I'm missing a combination of separates in my system already that would bring things to an amazing level, or if I might have had a mis-step somewhere?

In honesty, as my interest has grown and my knowledge has increased, i'm wondering if I sell on the audiolab what I could do instead. Would the Roksan be the basis of a 'main' system (although not upgradable in parts as it's integrated)...

Any thoughts, or just random suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers,
A

Some here would argue that you have got some decent mid-range boxes there, but the system split looks a bit muddled.

My suggestion would be to take some time and no more than 5-6 songs to pin down what sounds best to you, starting with source. My guess is that you will stick with your CD transport and the Epos11s for the main system, but I could be wrong about that and it is hard to guess what amplification will win. Try doing a ‘blind’ dem to a mate or two perhaps.

Also, where is the second system? Does it need to be anywhere near as detailed/ neutral as the main?

Finally, have you spent a little time on speaker placement and support and sorting out cables?

I have a Roksan Caspian M2 amplifier myself. It is an excellent integrated amplifier and worthy of fine source components and speakers.
Currently my source components are a Linn LP12 to approx Akurate level, a Roksan Caspian CD player all feeding a pair of Harbeth HL5 Plus speakers. I would imagine the sound quality of the Roksan amplifier would be better than the Audiolab components myself, I think you need to compare them well for yourself. I found that upgrading my speakers added another dimension to the overall soundstage and presentation of the music..

I’d imagine connecting your unused Chord Mojo to the Bluesound node would give quite a noticeable improvement.

Hi folks,

Looking for a bit of spit balling really. These are my set-ups:
  • Audiolab 8000s, pre amp, 2 power amps, CDT, M-DAC into Epos ES11 speakers
  • Roksan Caspian, Rega Planet CDP, Bluesound Node 2i streamer into Ruark Templar Mk1 speakers
  • Chord Mojo DAC (not currently attached to either system at the moment)
I was on my hi-fi (journey) during lockdown after many, many years of not bothering really. I had a NAD 3020i since young and I was all good with it. Figured i'd get back into enjoying music. Although the NAD is a great amp (now sold). So, started off with the Audiolab kit. Couldn't listen to any given lockdown, so took a punt at it. The system sounds great.

However...I bought a Roksan Caspian (to use in a second system) (after switching out an Exposure Power Amp, as I couldn't find a pre-amp at a sensible price. Loved the Exposure). However, the Roksan sounds great and for a second system I wanted an integrated amp only, but I've now started veering towards the Roksan over my 'main' system.

Is there any combination that i'm missing with the Audiolab. I've not really switched stuff between the two systems.

Part of me is thinking that as I have nice amps. The solution may be to upgrade speakers significantly, but unsure what would be in-line with the quality of what i've got, or do I stay put with what I have?

As I say, both sound great, but wondering if I'm missing a combination of separates in my system already that would bring things to an amazing level, or if I might have had a mis-step somewhere?

In honesty, as my interest has grown and my knowledge has increased, i'm wondering if I sell on the audiolab what I could do instead. Would the Roksan be the basis of a 'main' system (although not upgradable in parts as it's integrated)...

Any thoughts, or just random suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers,
A

There’s nothing inherently special about either. Unless you read reviews, but they are only good at confusing you so avoid.
You should compare the two amplifiers in your main system and keep whichever you prefer.
I’d do the same with speakers and CD players. (and because I have no use for a second system I’d sell the stuff, and use the profit to improve the main/single system)

Conversely, I really enjoy having two systems (actually in the same location) and no longer see them as 'main' and 'secondary', just two nice but different systems.

advertisement

Back