advertisement

Opinions on Bang & Olufsen turntables.

I have great memories of the Beogram 2402 I had during my university years. I recall changing worn cartridges two of three times during my time with the turntable, 20E, 20EN and 20CL. The suspension was quite good and the turntable was very impervious to shock to it while playing a record. Fully automatic and a doodle to maintain and change out cartridges.

4edb3fcacc776555d72efbe48129bdc2.jpg
I had one that looked just like that purchased new some time between 1978 and 1981. Rosewood trim, spring suspension, fully automatic and skinny arm. In France it was sold as the 1500, if I remember right - it was a long time ago.

The automatics worked well (rather convenient for the blind wife even if she did prefer cassettes). Carts lasted rarely more than 6-9 months. In those days I visited the UK often enough to source new carts in the Tottenham court Road.

All the B&O cartridges will work fine into an MM phono stage. They’re actually Moving Iron designs but behave electrically as MM, although their output level is a bit lower than a conventional MM.

As to the best phono stage for one; that’s easy. The one in a Beomaster 8000!

Thanks for that info!

Purely in terms of sound quality (disregarding aesthetics and operational convenience) how might the Beogram 4000 / Beocenter 8000 combo compare with something like a Rega P10 / Rega Aura Phono stage combo?

Any ideas?

Hoping to play through Beolab 50. Not bought yet, hopefully soon.

TIA

I’d personally take a Beogram 4000/MMC20CL over a Rega P10.

But the key phono stage is in
the Beomaster 8000, not the Beocemter 8000.

advertisement

Back