advertisement

Opinions on Bang & Olufsen turntables.

The Beogram 6006 was basically a slightly cost-reduced 8000 and the 6002 was indeed effectively a cunningly re-packaged 4002 to match the Beomaster 6000 as part of the Beolab 6000 system. More details here:https://beocentral.com/tangential-turntables

On this basis, either would be well worthy of consideration as more affordable alternatives to the 8000/8002. I've not heard a 6002 but would expect it to have more in common with the 4002. However, it takes the later MMCx cartridges rather than the older MMC20x types, so it may come down to which of these you prefer. I like the MMCx models but, as mentioned previously, my friend Tim prefers the MMC20x models. To be honest, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either!

Exactly what I was expecting actually, I had a feeling the 6002 was a evolution of the 4002 since internally its very similar.
Ideally the dream would be a 4000 or a 8002 (4000 would defo tick the dream factor the most) but honestly the costs of them are just... crazy! I'm sure they are worth it performance wise but it's slot of money either way, and especially on the 8000s with that incredibly on the edge of tech mech.

Really appreciate the response, I think we'll gun for a 6002 unless a reasonable priced 4k/8k pop up, just have always wanted one and as someone that studies Mid-century Modernism it's perfect visually!

I’ve never owned a 6002, but as Adam says it should be close to the performance of a 4002, with a more modern tonearm. Don’t forget that old original cartridges are always bad, with a muffled sound being the first and most usual symptom.
My preference also goes to the old 4000 (with heavy platter) or the 6006/8000 which take old cartridges like the magical MMC20CL, and obviously the Soundsmith modern alternatives. Once properly restored, they are very reliable too.
But these are seldom found fully working unless they were painstakingly restored and yes, their prices may go a little over the top these days.
I’m glad I started my B&O collection 12 years ago when nobody cared!

I’m glad I started my B&O collection 12 years ago when nobody cared!
Man! If only I could go back and fell 8 year old Pepper to buy more B&O Haha!

Already know the drill with the carts, thankfully I personally know Parker who is one of the engineers at Soundsmith so can source one of them easy peasy and was planning too anyway!

Ideally it'd be a 4k I'd buy, not only is it one of the ultimate I think its the best looking model they produced, now what what I really need is a working unit to magically come into my hands for a grand... well one can dream!

I've owned beograms before, but always the later series tangential (6500 to be specific) and have always had a rather fondness for B&O including for awhile a reasonable collection that I brought off one of my boss' who used to work in a B&O dealer in Stafford!

Thanks for the help lads, really appreciated!

I fell in love with B&O turntables in 1967 - the Beogram 1000. Couldn't afford it a a teenager and made the mistake of buying a Garrard SP25! Since then I've been totally allergic to cheap gear - my next turntable was a Thorens TD125, followed by a Linn Sondek. If the Beogram 1000 were still available (new, with its SP10/15 cartridge) I just might let my failing ears fall for it all over again!

Welp! Being money conscious didn't last me long, I ended up with a 8002 oopsie!
Now @Beobloke and @chartz any pointers on what to do/what to keep an eye out for to stop this beauty from being a beautiful record player and becoming a beautiful paper weight?

Good!
Any link to the actual object perhaps? Have you got it with you already?

I'll link the ebay listing, I would say I over paid but impatience is a dammed bastard! And I need to rush to replace my Sansui since its being collected this weekend (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bang-Olu...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1)

Should be here within the next couple of days, just need to sort collection out. Seller was a lovely chap, had a long convo thread and he provided some more information including as follows:
'Hi it’s being serviced as we speak so when I pick it up next week should be as good as it gets I’ve not seen one as good as this the Mmc is excellent as well as I have the old one which was replaced just before it was stored I will get the engineer to send me some pics internally'

After chatting abit longer apparently the chap servicing it only works on beograms, hopefully once it arrives I'll be able to have some fun!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You got that for a good price, especially with an MMC2.

There’s nothing preventative you can do for it really, particularly if it has been serviced - just use it and enjoy it!

Thank you very much lads! It's a childhood dream come true... I say childhood, I'm still a baby compared to most forum goers!

Will post some lovely pics when it arrived. Need to sort an adapter cable too before I forget!

And I wish I’d kept my BG4000! I do love the 4002 I have but it’s not quite the same….

I’ll never find another one for £4, that’s for sure!

@Beobloke Which type phono preamp is needed for the 4000/4002?
MM or MC? Is there a preamp that you would recommend?

Thanks for your highly informative posts and TIA for any help with this.

Bought a Beogram 1700 turntable on eBay from a charity for around £50. It turned out to be fitted with a top of the line MMC20CL cartridge and it sounds exception and absolutely tranced my then Rega RP3.
I also own a pair of active Beolab 9 speakers which are up there with the very best.
Bang & Olufsen gear is often written off as merely "lifestyle' but some of their gear is quite exceptional and although expensive when new can be an amazing bargain when bought second hand.

I bought a brand new Beogram 1700 in Vancouver in 1980. Kept it for 7 or 8 years, then moved on to an LP12. Really enjoyed the 1700 when I had it.

@Beobloke Which type phono preamp is needed for the 4000/4002?
MM or MC? Is there a preamp that you would recommend?

Thanks for your highly informative posts and TIA for any help with this.

All the B&O cartridges will work fine into an MM phono stage. They’re actually Moving Iron designs but behave electrically as MM, although their output level is a bit lower than a conventional MM.

As to the best phono stage for one; that’s easy. The one in a Beomaster 8000!

I have great memories of the Beogram 2402 I had during my university years. I recall changing worn cartridges two of three times during my time with the turntable, 20E, 20EN and 20CL. The suspension was quite good and the turntable was very impervious to shock to it while playing a record. Fully automatic and a doodle to maintain and change out cartridges.

4edb3fcacc776555d72efbe48129bdc2.jpg

I have great memories of the Beogram 2402 I had during my university years. I recall changing worn cartridges two of three times during my time with the turntable, 20E, 20EN and 20CL. The suspension was quite good and the turntable was very impervious to shock to it while playing a record. Fully automatic and a doodle to maintain and change out cartridges.

4edb3fcacc776555d72efbe48129bdc2.jpg

Now that’s interesting. Looks very different to the Beogram 2402 I’m familiar with…

https://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=284

advertisement

Back