advertisement

Opinions of MFSL recordings...

Originally posted by Jonathan Ribee

Where people have often criticised MFSL discs it was mostly the half speed mastered vinyl. I have had no experience of these myself, but other half speed remasters I have played have been a mixed bunch - the recent Underworld re-releases were superb.

I have a number of vinyl half speed masters from MF & others and would comment that they all have a greater dynamic range together with a much better signal to background noise ratio than the equivalent normal versions.

Mark

Mixed feelings really. It's interesting to read the earlier comments about Crime Of The Century because I'd describe it exactly the same. Not sure I like it. I've heard a few by Elton John that do sound pretty good.

I've got some half speed mastered vinyl, and I recall that it was perhaps more detailed, but lacking in bottom end compared to normal speed.

Is the Simply Vinyl issue of Nirvana's "Nevermind" anywhere near as good as the MoFi version, or is it more like the compressed standard issue? Curious really, as I have it on CD (I have "Bleach" and "MTV Unplugged" on vinyl and CD, and "Unplugged" on Simply Vinyl sounds fantastic...

BTW - I've also tried out the first CD pressing of DSOTM v the 1992 special edition v MoFi - and the 1992 one came out the clear winner, with MoFi somewhere in the middle.

"Is the Simply Vinyl issue of Nirvana's "Nevermind" anywhere near as good as the MoFi version"

Well, I don't rate the any of Mobile Fidelity Anadisc 200g records of which the Nevermind vinyl is a part.

However, the Nevermind CD is a great improvement on the 'normal' CD to my ears - less compressed, more music.

In general, MOFI CDs were a straight copy of the Master Tape with no compression or EQ applied. The same is not true of the LPs where more liberties were sometimes taken - usually by adding bass and treble. The Mo-Fi Beatles LPs are a good example of this EQ. It was not universally applied though, Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus being a great example of a good Mo-Fi (strangely it was monitored on Naim 250s and Isobariks accorinding to the liner notes - a recipe for wild EQ surely :) ).

As to the SV Nevermind, I'd say it is not one of SVs better jobs, not that they are really at fault, just that there is no chance of getting the correct tapes. The one to get is the 120g Universal reissue from 2001, this sounds like another album its so dynamic. Which suggests they got a hold of the original master tape and not the compressed production master.

Hope this helps

I just want to say a big thank you to sideshowbob for the 4menwithbeards link above - there are so many classic albums that I've been looking for decent copies of in their catalogue!

Cheers for that,

Chris.

advertisement

Back