advertisement

Opinion/suggestions please

GDBD59

pfm Member
I have Cyrus mono amps & a Stereo Coffee pre-amp which I heard working together briefly in a demo & sounded terrific. The assistant in the shop said it would need quite a lot of money to buy a commercial product the equal of the S-C.
But I've broken it. I hope to get it fixed.

But I fancy buying another used pre-amp (with remote). I don't need a phono-stage. I wondered about a Cyrus Pre-x.? Any S-C owners have something else comparable with it?

Remotes are evil. Just get up once in a while, or leave the volume alone - with a remote you’ll most likely just turn things up over the course of a listening session unnecessarily anyway.

But I've broken it. I hope to get it fixed.

But I fancy buying another used pre-amp

A bit confusing, you broke it, want it fixed and buy something else ?
Makes little sense, why not get it fixed if you purchased it new ? - its under warranty.

A bit confusing, you broke it, want it fixed and buy something else ?
Makes little sense, why not get it fixed if you purchased it new ? - its under warranty.

Not new, it's a Stereo Coffee diy. I do intend either fixing myself, or getting it done by someone, but quite fancy trying something else.......

Remotes are evil. Just get up once in a while, or leave the volume alone - with a remote you’ll most likely just turn things up over the course of a listening session unnecessarily anyway.
sadly many film scores vary HUGELY in volume and for me a decent remote is 100% necessary. one reason i dont have a MFA but use bel canto pre amps . even the wonderful MFA pre amps dont have that many steps .

I have used a bel canto pre 3 with the cyrus mono blocks and it was not bad at all. This would be a very very good pre with the Sean jacobs DC3 which cost a fair bit . superb remotes as well
this would easily match a MFA classic v2 [ owned both these items ]

https://coherent-systems.co.uk/product/belcanto-pre-3-vbs-vbs-box-with-sean-jacobs-lps/

be canto remote by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

sadly many film scores vary HUGELY in volume and for me a decent remote is 100% necessary. one reason i dont have a MFA but use bel canto pre amps . even the wonderful MFA pre amps dont have that many steps .

I have used a bel canto pre 3 with the cyrus mono blocks and it was not bad at all. This would be a very very good pre with the Sean jacobs DC3 which cost a fair bit . superb remotes as well
this would easily match a MFA classic v2 [ owned both these items ]

https://coherent-systems.co.uk/product/belcanto-pre-3-vbs-vbs-box-with-sean-jacobs-lps/

be canto remote by , on Flickr

Ah, for films/TV I’d agree.

My comment was partly tongue in cheek anyway, but it occurs I might have offended some folk who have any sort of restricted mobility. If I did, my apologies.

Ah, for films/TV I’d agree.

My comment was partly tongue in cheek anyway, but it occurs I might have offended some folk who have any sort of restricted mobility. If I did, my apologies.

Not mobility related. I saw something on a hi-fi forum just a few days ago, - someone had bought something without a remote having been used to one, thinking they WOULD get used to it. They were selling it because it annoyed them. I'm not going to make that mistake. I like different songs at different volumes, simple as that.

advertisement

Back