advertisement

Only one channel working with LP12

NaimClontarf

pfm Member
Only one channel is working on my LP12 TT.

A blue wire was disconnected on the back of the cartridge & I had it resoldered...it was fine on start up....then again it went back to working on one channel only...any ideas as to cause?

You could check the continuity of the wires from the tags to phono plugs with the low resistance/sounder setting of a multimeter.

And check the winding resistances of the cartridge with the same.

hp1 thanks for your reply...

I further investigated this afternoon ... what else to do on a winter saturday?

1) Disconnected it from my Nait 2 hooked it into my Nait 3 ... worked fine for an hour ... great ..
2) Reconnected to Nait 2 ... worked for 10 mins then went fuzzy & died on left channel
3) Reconnected to Nait 3 .... has been working fine again for further half hour.. will play it more to confirm

Reckon its to do with the phono part of the Nait 2 [which was recently serviced???]

It's only fall season over here!

Try reversing the phono plug connections wrt L/R channels round back of the Nait 2.

If the opposite channel eventually dies then it is the tonearm wiring and/or poor RCA plug contact.

If the same channel dies then the problem lies with the Nait.

Craig

Craig...thanks for your advice
November here in Dublin is always "winter" - its 6 Deg C out there ...

4) LP12 played fine on Nait 3 ... listened to The Fog on the Tyne!!!
5) Reconnected to Nait 2 switching phono RCAs ... same channel died....
On the basis of your advice its the Nait!!!

[and I had it serviced and specifically mentioned the left channel....don't worry I won't say who]

Do the NAIT 2 speaker out sockets all feel solidly attached to the circuit board?

A simple test is to wiggle the inserted banana plugs.

Craig

advertisement

Back