advertisement

Online auction snipers and nikon lenses

garyi

leave blank
I am a bit pissed off after watching this auction all night, with a spare window up for bidding etc etc and I still dipped out at the end.

Firstly I wanted a macro lens and this is what I was bidding on:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7583778966&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Would that have fitted a Nikon D50?

It seemed to go for a very cheap price or would this be reasonable?

Now then in order that I might win something one day (I never have any luck) I was thinking of using a sniper online.

Has anyone used one and could the recommend one? I am not thinking of a download-able programme because they all want lots of money.

I just get scared because obviously they want your user name and password.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I use eSnipe - it has worked succesfully for me -
Google for it as it has an intro web site and a working web site and I only have the working site address

However if you have not bid enough it does not help you - however it does enable you to hide your hand until the auction is about to close.

Good luck

Gary,

Despite what it says on the box, that's not a real macro lens. It's a zoom lens that focuses close.

If you want something that focuses close with OK quality, the cheapest option would be a close-up filter for the lens you already have.

Joe

Thanks Joe, so no great loss then?

I really do get confused by all this, if its not macro why do they call it macro?

I want something that focuses close but nice! I must say the E10 is really knocking the nikon into the weeds where close up is concerned. I thought at first it might be me.

I believe its something to do with depth of field, the nikon has too much, (so you might want to wear a hat)

Or more specifically if you zoom in to knock the background out, it will focus on literally half a cm and the rest of the leaf or what ever will be out of focus, pulling out a bit and you don't get the detail.

Its very difficult, the E10 just worked really well in this regard.

Gary - You have to tell eSnipe your eBay logon id and password, the auction number and the amount you want to bid up to. For eSnipe you have seperate logon process to set up the instructions.

So all they could do is put you in a position of having bids on goods you do not want, you would then have to action the payment process thru PayPal or what ever before you would be financially compromised -

A neat thing is the way that you can set up a series of bids for a set of auctions and eSnipe will cease placing the bids once you have won an item in a group of bids.

One other thing, outbid notices come to me like 30 minutes after the event, is there something in my settings that is not right?

Gary,
I really do get confused by all this, if its not macro why do they call it macro?
Because MBAs and marketing majors have too much say in companies.

I believe its something to do with depth of field, the nikon has too much
Yup, the larger the sensor (or film), the less depth of field you have for a given angle of view. If you think it's bad with your D50, try doing macro with medium format.

I think the Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 is what you're after. It won't solve the shallow DOF problem (that's inherent in the the format), but it will give you excellent detail.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I will keep an eye out.

In the mean time I have a snipe on an older Nikon lens, which although not specifically macro might be good to at least show me the differences with lenses.

Lets hope I get this one!

Thanks Derek for the heads up

Now I am set up for 14 free days of sniping, but whats the deal after that?

Ebay prices have been crazy for Nikon lenses for months - you just have to set the max you're willing to pay and not worry about being outbid. After loads of outbiddings, I finally bought a mint boxed Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 AF-D for £125 at the weekend - I was the only bidder. How come? Sometimes it just happens.

Garyi,

I sometimes use a service called https://uk.auctionstealer.com , it has been going for a few years now. I used to use their premium package when i was addicted to e-bay a few years ago , now I've spent all of my money :)) ) i find that their 3 free snipes per week is more than enough for my needs.

As with all sniper programs , or even bidding live yourself at the last second, you need to decide to just how much the item is worth to you, then fire and forget.
Sometimes getting sucked into a bidding war just seems to be too personal, lets face no one likes to get beat, last second bidding , or sniping helps to prevent this emotion i find...

As with all sniper programs , or even bidding live yourself at the last second, you need to decide to just how much the item is worth to you, then fire and forget.

Agree with this comment. What is the top price you are prepared to pay for an item? Then if you can be there at the end of the auction, play the waiting game from the start, and don't bid owt until the last minute.

If you are out, then last minute bidder is quite good...

When I'm sniping manually, I bid in the last 5 seconds. Worked so far, but it's a bitch staying up at 3am.

James

James said:
When I'm sniping manually, I bid in the last 5 seconds. Worked so far, but it's a bitch staying up at 3am.

James

3pm is the killer for me, I got up at 4 today!

( I didn't go to bed until 8am though....:) ).

Be carefull buying older Nikon lenses. Generally all Nikon lenses produced before 1999 are not fully supported by new Nikon digital slr. You will more details here:

http://www.dcviews.com/lenses/Nikon-lenses.htm

I have a friend using Nikon for more than 30 years. He has few slr bodies and many older very expensive Nikon lenses. None of them is working properly with his new D70, which he bought because he wanted to use his old lenses...
He is really angry ...

Cheers, Tomek

Hi Tomek.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been looking at another link as well, I don't expect it to be flawless, I have reasonably good eye sight and except I might have to manually focus.

If it does not work, I notice that Castle Cameras, of which there is one in Salisbury has one for £199. If It is no good to me, I might be able to swap it in for something or at least get my money back.

We will see, its only 40 quid, not the end of the world.

If someone could confirm its not going to break my camera though, that would be nice!

Oh well, thats nothing. And my details are quite safe with them? I am tempted to change my password after each go haha.

advertisement

Back