advertisement

Onix restoration

Mike S

pfm Member
Just wondering if anyone has received their amp back from restoration yet? I have tried contacting Adam by email and phone but haven't received a reply.

Don't worry, they can be a bit slow but it is all for the good. Mine was soak tested by the head honcho himself before I got it back. When you do eventually get it back it will be well worth the wait.

Thanks for that encouraging reply. I was beginning to think it might have got lost in the system.

40510379455_6bd4895553_b.jpg

My OA21S is with Adam/OnixDNA having its giblets rearranged. I’m not worried in the slightest. I have a feeling he got rather more folk taking up the offer than expected so it might take a bit of time to get through them all! I’m hoping we get a pic of them all together at some point, I think he was planning to do something like that.

Adam,

What a wonderful attitude and much to be commended. Hopefully these will last for many more decades.

Thanks for the update Adam. Looking forward to seeing some pics of this project!

PS Mine (pictured above) is one of the dodgy late ones! :-/

When I was in my 20's I had an OA21 and was living with a mate. I became unemployed and the only thing I could do to repay my free accommodation until I got working again was to donate my amp to him. It was a corker and this uplifting thread makes me remember it fondly. I can remember going to the Cornflake shop in London to audition it, against Naim Nait I think. Whatever it was the Onix came back home with me. Should have given him the speakers instead...

I'd also like to thank Adam for the mammoth task he has taken and the update above which goes a long way towards explaining the time it is taking. I guess my OA21s is also one of the post-1991 models.

Never heard or owned an Onix amp but reading this thread makes me wish I had, if more people in the electronics & manufacturing sectors had Adam's work ethic & attitude the UK could still be a world leader in these areas.

Interesting thread.

I am a big fan of Onix products and have owned a few over the years so I am in full support of the brand and wish you every success. However, some of your comments elicit curiosity...

I first met Mike O'Brien in 1980 as my company at that time was a sub contract electronics manufacturing business. We moved into the factory next door to Rogers/ Chartwell. Mike O'Brien owned them and made us extremely welcome. We got to know them well and I don't recall any major complaints about their products so I am curious about your comments that appear to suggest he was responsible for sub standard products.

Mike was a well known 'tight wad' but he was a successful businessman and never promoted poor quality at Rogers. You won't find many, if any, complaints about their products.

In circa 1991, he asked me to quote for the manufacture of Onix amps, including the supply of all components. I was given the parts lists and started the process of quotation but received a phone call from one component supplier, suggesting I would be better walking away as there were huge financial problems that were best avoided.

Why did you sell to Mike?

Feel free to comment. I just want to hear your side of events.

You may think that I am super critical but I am a true fan of Onix, however there are questions that I would be happier knowing answer to.

Last edited:
Wow, It's great to hear this story of woes from sub-standard manufacturing and the decay of British manufacturing and engineering and why it went downhill in the past thirty years. The race for money and rampant greed before anything else kills passion and care when designing and making anything as evidenced by the overwhelming raft of low grade sub-standard goods from China many of which are blatant rip-offs of well-know brands who have worked hard for decades to establish themselves and their products. What is wrong with these people, don't they have any standards or pride in what they're doing! Do their goods have minimum health and safety standards, quality manufacture kitemark or product guarantees - a big fat NO.
I'm not saying the Chinese can't make good things but these good things are extremely, extremely rare indeed!

People please think on when buying things if they're cheap, cheap means crap, something which is sub-standard with the absolute ommission of any quality or care, the most meaningful thing with which to do with is putting it in the bin for recycling - even then the bin will probably reject it.

Everythings just throaway, throaway and then we all wonder why the planets in such an environmantal mess, well we are all responsible for it, all of us.
If i can't afford something i save up knowing i'm gonna have it some day soon and i'll respect and enjoy the product even more so.
Do i need something or just want something?
If i just want something, am i gonna use it or use it well and am i gonna really enjoy it, if no then i don't buy but if yes then i buy or either save up.
Good hi-fi purchases are always forgiveable as they are correlated proportionately to the enjoymant we get out of them.

Adam, i like what you're doing, i'd buy one of your amps, a silver one - if i was in the market for one but i'm very happy with my own Naim 5i-2.
You are a dying breed which this country needs a lot more of!.

There is an OA21 on my local auction site with serial number 30869. What vintage would that be?

Hi Adam

I see only one DIN input above the tape out RCAs. Would that be pre-1991?

James

Up to reading this thread I had never heard of Onix. What sort of front end do people have running in conjunction with Onix amps. I may decide to return to a passive set up.
However I really need to reduce the box count so it would have to be with an integrated amp. I like the ethos of Onix, but I really need to be able to demo before committing.
Any advice on this appreciated.
I have a decent front end: LP 12 and Linn streamer system
Regards
Peter

I received my Onix OA21s back from restoration last week, many thanks Adam. It had gone out in poor cosmetic shape and the sound it made was too awful for me to use it. It has come back looking pristine. The sound it makes, to my ears, is gob smackingly good. Way better than I was expecting and up there with some much more expensive amps. Well done Onix and thanks again Adam.

No (I think) he's in Ocean Village (about 300 metres from where I used to live)

advertisement

Back