advertisement

Onix OA21....wow!

topa

Sans CDPs
Finally acquired one of these for a play.

I'm mighty impressed!
It has been fully serviced, which might explain why it's so good.

Compared to my Exposure 23/28, the sound is a bit more confined to the speakers and flatter, and also a bit brighter, but the boogie certainly remains! No loss of detail, even bass lines come out rather clean although maybe not as authoritative as with the Exposure gear. Certainly highly enjoyable and I keep getting lost in the tunes instead of comparing the sound, which speaks for itself.

Haven't given the Phono Input a go yet, I have both the MM and MC cards and need to find out which one suits my HighOutput MC better. Will do so soon.

The phono is great on the OA21. I've also got an OA24/601, which is flat earth heaven; really compelling and clear and simply enjoyable, and can fill a large room when required. The resolution and immediacy of these amps is comparable to the new Albarry mono blocks, but whereas they are hard to drive, the OA601 can easily fit in other contexts, and the OA24 does a really good job driving different kinds of power amps - I've tried it with a Croft and it sounded good. It wouldn't be confined to the speakers compared to your 23/28. The phono stage on the OA24 is exceptional for an affordable solid state design.

Finally acquired one of these for a play.

I'm mighty impressed!
It has been fully serviced, which might explain why it's so good.

Compared to my Exposure 23/28, the sound is a bit more confined to the speakers and flatter, and also a bit brighter, but the boogie certainly remains! No loss of detail, even bass lines come out rather clean although maybe not as authoritative as with the Exposure gear. Certainly highly enjoyable and I keep getting lost in the tunes instead of comparing the sound, which speaks for itself.

Haven't given the Phono Input a go yet, I have both the MM and MC cards and need to find out which one suits my HighOutput MC better. Will do so soon.

I had the same feeling when I first acquired an OA21. Thanks to Elephantears for introducing me to it.
For the money, they are simply fabulous and I still cannot fathom that the OA21 is largely ignored while the Nait 2 gets ridiculous levels of attention.
IMO, the OA21 is better and looks way cooler

I had one for years and loved it BUT it was bought because I could not afford a NAIT!

Also auditioned an Exposure X at the time, lovely.

NAIT first
OA21 second
EX X third

The Nait sounded thin and a bit harsh.

The Onix was serviced here in Germany, most important tasks being a new source switch and replacing the relevant relays as well. Along with that it received a new Alps-Pot, and new Caps. Which, if you look at it, is more or less everything.

If it were to have been dodgy, that wouldn't speak for Naim either.
If I remember correctly, it was a '92 Nait, and I had it around 2003 or 2004.
I expect a ten year old amp to work no matter what.

I would agree that the nait is a great amp but it has become a bit overhyped and peoples expectations may be higher than it actually delivers leading to disappointment .

The Nait sounded thin and a bit harsh.

The Onix was serviced here in Germany, most important tasks being a new source switch and replacing the relevant relays as well. Along with that it received a new Alps-Pot, and new Caps. Which, if you look at it, is more or less everything.
I did compare my Onix OA21 with a Nait 2 when I had a Nait 2 - very briefly though. I did like the Nait 2 quite a bit and didnt find it harsh, but remember finding the OA21 fuller and punchier and overall more pleasant and fun. I do wish I had given the Nait 2 a bit more time.
I also compared the OA21 with a Rega Brio-R and there was no contest - the OA21 was better in most aspects. The Brio probably had a bit more detail on the top but was also thinner and brighter overall.

Nah, had a Nait2 once, (olive style) and hated it.
The Onix is great though!

I suspect a lot depends on what you want to do with it. The Nait 1 & 2 are very small amps, IIRC about 12 and 16 watts per channel respectively. Ask too much of either and they lose control usually starting at the top-end which becomes grainy and a little harsh. The Onix is a punchy 40 watter and can drive most things with ease, it really is a lot more powerful and in many ways is more a competitor to a 42/110. I've really enjoyed both the Naits and the OA21, each great in it's context, though I have to admit I bought the OA21 in a strait dem against the Nait 1 back in the '80s. It was a cracking little amp IMO.

Agree Tony, the Nait was certainly way too quiet for me. But then I used to listen to my 72 between midday and 4 o'clock on the volume control. It would probably be perfect for me now I'm moving towards old git status!

Onix, Myst, NVA and exposure integrated's of the day were and still are miles better than a Nait to my ears. I've had them all back then and again more recently. It's not a bad amp but there are better ones available at a fraction of the cost imo.

Onix, Myst, NVA and exposure integrated's of the day were and still are miles better than a Nait to my ears. I've had them all back then and again more recently. It's not a bad amp but there are better ones available at a fraction of the cost imo.

+1 Just agreed with you in another thread... we must stop meeting like this :D

Sold a couple of NAITs when working for Audio Excellence briefly in 1999/2000. I never actively promoted them. I thought they were awful.

Mull

OTOH, I heard a couple of Onix amps around 1991/2. I was seduced by the amazing though rather typically 'left field' styling. They looked the part. Ultimately though.. I found them a bit slow in the bass, with the speakers I heard them through. That's what sticks in my mind and I have no recall of their mid/high performance which kind of says it all. It was ION stuff for me.

advertisement

Back