advertisement

Onix OA21 what speakers

wirbeltier

pfm Member
I recently re-vived this kind little amp and it just is one of the most musical and involving amp I ever heard. Music is flowing effortlessly...

Anyway, I would like to have Onix owners' experiences with speakers. I am currently listening to Ovator 400s which this little amp drives quite fine. The Ovators suck some life out of it, though. Therefore any tips will be received gratefully.

K

I ran mine with a variety of Royd 7L and Rega Ela loudspeakers

All of these were great match into smaller room

I think I had the early Kan's as well and could be exiting to hear again
A friend used some Castle Chester, a joyfull combo with his Rega TT

I had the matching Onix BWD1 tuner and Soap as well, stupidly sold on

I guess S400 would demand more juice but little experience with these

If your OA21 is in good nick some pleasant hours ahead - enjoy

Shame a new manufactured limited edition OA21 never materialised, I think it would have sold like hotcakes

I'm currently running some JR149s with my OA21 and is nice.
I've tried it with quite a few speakers - mainly vintage - and my favourite combo has been with the Epos ES11s and ES14s. They just sound right together - with a really nice musical sound that just gets your feet tapping - not the last word in detail or soundstaging but just good fun.
It also worked well with my Rega RS7s - again great fun and punchy sound

Per, I feel for you. I spent the better part of a year with hunting down a BWD1 and finally got lucky - thanks to a fellow fishy. And no, I will not part from it :)

I ran mine with a variety of Royd 7L and Rega Ela loudspeakers

All of these were great match into smaller room

I think I had the early Kan's as well and could be exiting to hear again
A friend used some Castle Chester, a joyfull combo with his Rega TT

I had the matching Onix BWD1 tuner and Soap as well, stupidly sold on

I guess S400 would demand more juice but little experience with these

If your OA21 is in good nick some pleasant hours ahead - enjoy

Shame a new manufactured limited edition OA21 never materialised, I think it would have sold like hotcakes

Banjoman's experience is worth heeding here, since the amp was developed with ES11 and ES14, I believe (and possibly Isobariks). I use the OA21 with Linn Majik 109 in my office system and it is a really good match. For many years I used it with Energy Pro 22, but I am the only person born outside Canada (and the US) who has ever heard them, it seems. You could say they are the Canadian ES14, but bigger.

I also sold my BWD1 and regret it. In fact I sold 2 x OA21S and I irrationally regret that too, even though it would be silly to keep three of them.

...that is because the OA21 is really something special. I had it on stock just in case I need a replacement amp for my main rig, but every time I put on this little amp I was captivated...

Isobariks??? But why not... The other (inspirational) thread about the NAIT2 mentions Quad 57 as a match...

It gives around 50w in 8R and 80w into 4R.
It's completely standard in terms of SS design so you can use any loudspeaker suitable for those power ratings.
Otherwise there are no matching considerations.

Now my OA21s is back with the old Rogers LS3/5a speakers and a big assed HSU subwoofer. That was my main rig for many years. Now that I have 5 complete hifi set ups, I have changed the combinations around a lot.

I have played the Onix my other speakers:
Quad llL,
Quad llL Classics,
Castle Severn
Castle Richmond
Dynaco A-25

I sounds fine with all of them.

My newly purchased NOS Onix BWD-1 tuner is in the mail. I am so anxious since I have looked for years for one. Not that I really need a matching tuner, but just for fun. I have a Roksan Caspian tuner with it now that is nice.
A different seller still has an Onix OA 20/2 on ebay. He got no bites and had to relist it.

I too just recently acquired an Onix from Mel. Popped the cover, looks just plain brand new. I don't want to make the mistake of using the wrong speaker cable with this amp. I know the old Naims required their cable at a minimum length. Any such limitations with the Onix that anyone knows about? I have read here that Epos is a good match the 11 and 14, what about the newer versions? Any suggestions are welcomed!

don't want to make the mistake of using the wrong speaker cable with this amp. I know the old Naims required their cable at a minimum length. Any such limitations with the Onix that anyone knows about? I have read here that Epos is a good match the 11 and 14, what about the newer versions? Any suggestions are welcomed!

The recent chinese Epos is far different from Classic ES series, I'd take the latter anyday

I used 2x4 or 2x5 mtr Odyssey or cable talk wire - fine

advertisement

Back