advertisement

One Thing Audio - great service

I have been a long term addict to the sound of Quad 57 electrostatics and have had my pair since 1993. They are some of the last ones built with a S/N of about 52000. I had them serviced by One Thing Audio in 2001. One speaker developed a distortion fault with the treble panel about 18 months ago and I got OTA to sort this out. The other speaker developed a similar issue and so I took it down to OTA in Coventy a couple of weeks ago to sort out. It is now ready for collection after a treble panel refurb and a new clamp. The service from OTA is fantastic and they are really reasonable when it comes to cost. The job is costing just short of £200. If you get the right pair the 57 is a really reliable speaker. In total mine have cost me about £600 pounds of service / repairs in over 25 years of daily use. Fantastic and such a reflection of the brilliance of Peter Walker's design. Other repair issues at the moment - I run a Croft Series 3 OTL amp. This went pop a couple of weeks ago probably when I playing my music with a bit too much volume. Glenn Croft now lives in Scarborough about an hours drive from York where I live so I took it over to him to sort out. Tht big transformer had gone. Rather than rewind the beasty at great expense, Glenn is now re-wiring the amp with a unknow to me at the moment number of torroidal transformers to sort me. So again great service and at a very reasonable cost I am sure. It is brillaint we still have super good technicians who can keep our wondeful classic hi-fi in top form even when things go wrong!

Regards

David
PS if you live near York or are visiting do come round to hear my set up - it is really special now - never heard anything that gets near to it in terms of musical involvement and engagement

I have a pair of One Thing Audio Quad 57's serviced by OTA 10 years before, I bought off the bay then them serviced afterwards by Ron & Steve The Otec A treble panels were rebuilt and fitted with the latest Clamp Boards. 5 or 6 years on they still sound superb they are fitted with the original "Widgets" I removed the original wiring and replaced it with OFC Nordost Gold speaker cable to make it longer, even though I use a valve amplifier the Nordost Gold was an improvement to the Widgets/57's & I prefer the 57's with widgets rather than without. Ron & Steve are helpful, professional their work exceptional.

Each speaker they work on is on a register.

I have the Croft 3 OTL altered to run with 2 number stacked torroids when the brick transformer blew up a few years ago. I would say the OTL underwhelmed me with its sound in the 1/2 hr I had it running with the brick transformer before it blew up with a shower of sparks! However following a Glenn Croft rebuild with new torroids and a few upgrades it came back magical. I am feeding its signal into Quad 2905's which it drives without any trouble at all. Glenn Croft is the most splendid chap, and I only have the greatest respect for his amplifier designs and his service is to my mind better than any other hi fi manufacturer in this country. I believe that Croft amplification is a great (underpriced) secret in this country.

advertisement

Back