advertisement

One sub or two

I know this sounds a bit daft but on the MJ site

Featuring a massively engineered 460mm ultra long-throw super-rigid cast alloy radial sub-bass driver, battleship construction, beautiful finish, and attention to the finest and smallest detail, ensures the Reference 800 MkII delivers adroit punch and solid slam – without the dreaded overhang – down to a gut-wrenching 10Hz.

Is kinda a turn off for me, I recall using and hearing the word "slam" quite a lot without actually really having a clue what it meant at the time.

I'm getting someone in before I buy anything. This decision is not what I am good at.

El fox,

Tony L's advice looks good to me. Hardly anyone is going to have a playback system which will go lower than 100s, and even if they do, so what? Most music has zero content below 35 Hz, I would contend. (cue lots of people telling me I'm wrong about that!)

Well, OK there's some bleeping electronic nonsense which has "super lows", but how many people can replay it? Virtually no-one, outside of hi-fi forums, and probably very few who are on hi-fi forums, so it wouldn't matter at all if it wasn't there. Most normal civilians would think AVI's speakerettes are on the large side.

Most music has zero content below 35 Hz, I would contend. (cue lots of people telling me I'm wrong about that!)

There is stuff that lives down there, but the beauty is it doesn't need writing and tends to look after itself, e.g. hall ambience, the very bottom thump to some drums, the very bottom flub beneath some synth sounds etc. One can largely ignore it and let it do it's own thing - don't boost it, don't cut it, don't filter it, just realise it may exist and possibly even bring a little joy to one in ten thousand listeners or so!

Professor of electroacoustics with something like 30 years of experience at my dept is on the case as well as the studio designer. I'm keeping my head down low. Titans stomp about my workplace. Not my concern anymore. Phew. Ta all.

I was surprised – and pleased – that, using the HFNRR test disc, l could still hear a definite 'hum’ note from the little Shahinian Super Elves at 18Hz, with the 72 preamp dial at the ‘Quarter to’ position.

Two subs are much better than one. Sub postioned next to each speaker playing single channel sound.

Damn it. I find myself agreeing with Teddy Ray.

If you have to use one, use it centrally between the speakers on an arc the same distance from the listener. Its simple and it works...

advertisement

Back