advertisement

One of my favourite pieces of music. Bach BWV 547

This is a fine example of Bach performed on the Iano. Totally natural response to the music from Busoni the arranger, and Edwin Fischer the pianist. I am generally not an enthusiast for Bach on the piano, but this transcends all the normal considerations.

Ich ruf zu dir,

I hope you will enjoy this nugget of musical greatness.

Best wishes from George

Yes very good, much appreciated, played at that speed and with that sort of touch and phrasing it becomes lyrical.

Demidenko is at the other extreme, he slows it right down andI think it becomes more “metaphysical”, time stops still. Not better than Fischer, just different.

By the way I think it’s 639 not 547.

Yes very good, much appreciated, played at that speed and with that sort of touch and phrasing it becomes lyrical.

Demidenko is at the other extreme, he slows it right down andI think it becomes more “metaphysical”, time stops still. Not better than Fischer, just different.

I switched it on and my wife made a positive comment after a minute. That’s a rare thing.

what I liked is that the ornaments are done in a precise way. Like written out notes. Most romantic interpretations have romantic ornaments, but not in this case.

If someone knows why Ich ruf zu Dir has become popular and not any other piece from the Orgelbuchlein, please enlighten me!

I think I recognize that performance from Hyperion's Bach: Piano Transcriptions, Vol.1 (or here). The disc is excellent for both performance and recording (and I have no qualms about Bach played on the piano :)).

Actually I really like Eugen d'Albert's piano transcription on Vol.8 of the series from Piers Lane. A very favourite Bach CD for me. Especially for the Passacaglia in C minor, BWV 582.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back