advertisement

One man’s fight to save his tiny part of the environment

avole

The wise never post on Internet forums
This story brought back a long-forgotten memory, of an early visit to Thailand where I visited a project sponsored by the then queen to rehabilitate a mangrove swamp on the south coast of Thailand.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sp...temple-in-samut-prakan-defies-coastal-erosion

What struck me in the article was the comment about the rise in tourism seeking “Instagram-worthy selfies”. Now I’m a tourist in Thailand, fully aware that tourism can be positive but all too often is not. Nevertheless , this tiny project which may well be doomed to failure seems symbolic of many things, not least, if you accept the article’s bias, of the lack of interest in creating, promoting or publicising a miniscule project which could help the local community and do a tiny part in helping people understand what local communities are facing.

I’m not hiding from the Thailand is a wealthy country, by the way, more trying to suggest that tourism could help refocus the tiny but important things to do with the environment on the planet. International pressure has done little to prevent deforestation anywhere even though many of the countries could easily afford to invest in schemes.

That’s my thought for the day, anyway.

advertisement

Back