advertisement

One for the Isobarik Experts

That's how to package speakers for transportation. Putting things on pallet certainly reduces the chance of damage.

That's how to package speakers for transportation. Putting things on pallet certainly reduces the chance of damage.

That's actually the packaging the Kustone Briks arrived in from the eBay seller although not the same pallet.

That seems like sound advice at anytime.

There are worse places....... As it happens looks like I might have some work early next week mobilising in Aberdeen so I will have a legitimate reason for heading to Aberdeen and will be able to collect the speaker cable.

They are only up to 198 COVID-19 cases so far...........

Regards

Richard

we aren't supposed to go into Aberdeen unless strictly necessary

Had take my wife to a hospital appointment in Aberdeen on Tuesday. Dropped her off at 10.00 picked her at 18.00. Trying to kill 8 hours in a locked down city was no fun. Only take-aways open so no spending time in a café. The last time I saw Aberdeen so quiet was when I came through from Elgin to find 25cm of snow everywhere. The only queue on Tuesday was at the Apple shop!

Glad the the appointment wasn't on Wednesday. Flash floods caused chaos including the sad derailment at Stonehaven.

Excellent work Richard

If you do fancy undoing all your hard work and upsetting the Mrs I can highly recommend using a resin / kiln dried sand mix to dampen cabinets and drivers rather than the smaller pieces linn have fashioned externally and then (I assume) glued in place.

I have just completed this on a much smaller speaker and the effects were pronounced.

https://imgur.com/a/aKA2gaE

Good Evening All,

That's one pair of speakers c/w stands/ crossovers packed - heavy machinery in use....

hHvU59I.jpg

QPiYu6c.jpg

Ready for collection.

Regards

Richard
....Looking good!!!....:)

Good Afternoon All,

Looks like I could very soon be a household with only the one pair of Briks as an offer has now been made on my original pair.......... I have an original pair of Linn boxes for the speakers but no material at all to pack the stands....:(

The custom made Exactbox cables arrived from Flashback this morning - very efficient.

Regards

Richard

As Fraser said...

"mix to dampen cabinets and drivers rather than the smaller pieces linn have fashioned externally and then (I assume) glued in place.

I have just completed this on a much smaller speaker and the effects were pronounced."

Sorry to butt in on your superb story of changing drivers. Dedication and allot of expense.

I'm taking the fraser route on my project briks, my focus will be cabinet treatment then alternative wiring arrangements and keltik xover (cause I rate it over snaxo) my only driver change will be tweeters.
I will also ditch the upward firing drivers as I did this before and the focus of the music improves greatly.

I have a sneaky feeling you may be in a neverending cycle to get your isobarik cabinetted drivers to gell. I sincerely hope I'm wrong because your dedication deserves to be rewarded.

David

Excellent work Richard

If you do fancy undoing all your hard work and upsetting the Mrs I can highly recommend using a resin / kiln dried sand mix to dampen cabinets and drivers rather than the smaller pieces linn have fashioned externally and then (I assume) glued in place.

I have just completed this on a much smaller speaker and the effects were pronounced.

https://imgur.com/a/aKA2gaE

I wouldn't be at all sure where to start.......

Regards

Richard

Good Morning All,

Well that's my original Briks now sold. Currently persuading them in to their boxes wondering what price I might get for posting the original 1989 Linn boxes on a well known internet auction site???

bbExvi5.jpg

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

Well an LP12 box is about £75 new so a pair of Isobarik boxes for someone looking for a pair I would think might be worth £150 to £200, no idea what the cost of delivery would be though.

Cheers

John

Good Evening All,

I've been doing more listening and could no longer ignore the fact that the Scan-Speak midrange units are more efficient than the KEF B110's so that's the lid off the SNAXO this evening and the midrange trimpots tweaked back from about the 2 o'clock to the 3 o'clock position.

Time for Peter Gabriel's 'Us' as it is a far better test than anything on 'So' [with Daniel Lanois at work on both of these you do wonder how U2's Joshua Tree is such a crap recording (maybe you can blame Eno)!!].

That's definitely tamed the mid-range and allowed the volume to go up a touch and bring the bass out some.

There is absolutely no doubt that the Keltik woofers are simply going places the B139's just weren't getting to........ (I'm just waiting for an amplifier to trip....). Who needs sub-woofers??:rolleyes:

Aberdeen still in lockdown so still can't get to the K400 to allow experiments with 8/ 10 channel active.

Regards

Richard

David,

Thanks for this.

We went via Aberdeen yesterday (en route to Portlethen to drop off one set of Isobariks and also the one odd Sara I had) so I now have the K400 cable here at the house.

The Briks are off their stands so I might do something to these this afternoon as we're forecast for lots of rain....

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon,

Well that is one speaker modified and guess what? They aren't wired as per the above diagram. Having disconnected the wires that were marked as the Front Bass and soldering them to the new terminals I then tested the wiring using one of the tweeter NAP135's like what you're supposed to do.

I've repeated the 'test' and they are definitely the reverse of the above.

gNI5iZz.jpg

D2jRyct.jpg

uB19zWa.jpg

0OvnToe.jpg

wsNuKJj.jpg

aPAyljP.jpg

Now to get on with the other speaker and then modify the SNAXO leads to the two bass NAP250's.

Regards

Richard

Nice work Richard. I have really enjoyed following this thread. It is probably 20 years since I've heard an active isobarik system. I hope you get lots of enjoyment as a reward for all this effort.

Good Afternoon (again),

Well that's both speakers modified along with their respective XLR leads from the SNAXO. Both woofers tested on each and then both speakers connected up to all 8 channels of amplification.

All that remains is to politely ask SWMBO to give me a hand getting them back up on the stands again. :rolleyes:

There does appear to be an awful lot of speaker cable..............

I'll now wait for somebody to ask why I didn't add another pair of output terminals to allow for separating the midranges........ if it is any consolation I was asking myself much the same question........ Although it isn't obvious if you look at the photo's there isn't a lot of slack wire to move the treble sockets across 6cm to allow another pair of sockets to sit alongside the existing midrange sockets.

I think the hot glue 'sealant' will need to be warmed up and some slack wire eased through from the cabinet space. It can wait as there is always another day!

Looking forward to listening to them this evening.

o2cV5Cn.jpg

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back