advertisement

One for the Isobarik Experts

How are you finding the dual 250 configuration?

David,

I must tighten up on my terminology!! I only have one channel of each NAP250 driving each pair of woofers. I'll obviously need to do some more woodworking to get an extra pair of terminals on each cabinet to go down that route. Kate will be cursing me for needing to move the speakers again....

I assume I need to modify the XLR connector from the SNAXO to the NAP250 so that both Ch.1 and Ch.2 get the same signal? I'll need to dig out the LK400 cable I've got as well.

Regards

Richard

I use a y split cable which isn’t hard to make as the linn aktiv uses nice big XLR connectors.

I think the fundamental differences between the linn and naim crossovers mean much of my experience is likely not applicable to your endeavours.

Im sure you’ll be getting some great sounds though.

David,

Given people have used 12 packs out of SNAXO's they must be 'splitting' the 6 signals out of the SNAXO to do this so I assume the SNAXO must generate sufficient signal to allow this to be done???

Anybody out there with appropriate knowledge who'd like to contribute??

On the subject of great sounds I still find myself struggling with the quality of the material at the input........ Fear Innoculum by Tool may not be to everybody's taste (and TBH there are some tracks I'm not overly keen on myself) but overall as an 'immersive' listening experience it is very very good. The sound stage goes beyond the speakers on both sides, seems to reach out too and almost beyond the listening position and has a 'physical height'.

Both 'A Million Dreams' and 'What about us?' by P!nk are both also, seemingly, very well recorded along with Lady Gaga's 'Always remember us this way'.

Had to drag myself away from the room last night....

Yes I need to look at going the Exact route. Might have to get on to Robert Ritchie.

Regards

Richard

On the subject of great sounds I still find myself struggling with the quality of the material at the input

What sources are you using?

My reference to the XLRs was simply that it gives you plenty of physical room to make the cable connections, im sure the Snaxo has ample output to drive two inputs.

What do you mean, Exact route? Are you still in touch with Robert? He's retired but knowing him he'll find it hard to keep away. I haven't spoken to him in years.

Going down the Linn Exactbox route rather than sticking with the Naim pre-amplifier/ SNAXO option. I suspect it may possibly, ideally, need custom filters though.

What sources are you using?

My reference to the XLRs was simply that it gives you plenty of physical room to make the cable connections, im sure the Snaxo has ample output to drive two inputs.

As per details in my 'Signature'.

Regards

Richard

Going down the Linn Exactbox route rather than sticking with the Naim pre-amplifier/ SNAXO option. I suspect it may possibly, ideally, need custom filters though.

Maybe sumbeamgls could help out with that? He's done Exakt filters for the Killer Keltiks.

I love this thread. I have a pair of Keltiks which I bought a couple of years ago specifically with the intention of future upgrading to the Illuminator midrange. I originally intended to also upgrade to Hiquphon OW3's, but recently heard that they (the mids) pair very well with the 66-series Illuminator tweeters, and now this threat too. So I would very much be interested in having Exakt filters for this combination available in the future.

David,

Given people have used 12 packs out of SNAXO's they must be 'splitting' the 6 signals out of the SNAXO to do this so I assume the SNAXO must generate sufficient signal to allow this to be done???

Anybody out there with appropriate knowledge who'd like to contribute??

On the subject of great sounds I still find myself struggling with the quality of the material at the input........ Fear Innoculum by Tool may not be to everybody's taste (and TBH there are some tracks I'm not overly keen on myself) but overall as an 'immersive' listening experience it is very very good. The sound stage goes beyond the speakers on both sides, seems to reach out too and almost beyond the listening position and has a 'physical height'.

Both 'A Million Dreams' and 'What about us?' by P!nk are both also, seemingly, very well recorded along with Lady Gaga's 'Always remember us this way'.

Had to drag myself away from the room last night....

Yes I need to look at going the Exact route. Might have to get on to Robert Ritchie.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard

I use 6x Linn Akurate 2200 s on my briks with the Linn crossover.

The Linn amps allow you to daisy chain so there is no need to split the crossover signal.

For example I feed the Left channel treble output from the crossover to Channel 1 of the amp driving the left speaker tweeters, this channel drives the front tweeter on the left speaker.
Then I use a short phono link from channel 1 out to channel 2 in on this amp, and use channel 2 to drive the top left tweeter.

I do this across all the drivers with the 6 amps (12 channels)

This avoids any issues with the signal level output/impedance etc from the crossover into the amps.

Hope this helps
Rich

Good Evening All,

Been doing some more listening this afternoon - best track of the afternoon had to be 'This is the Picture (Excellent Birds)' off Peter Gabriel's 'So'. As Kate was upstairs 'at work' the volume level was, relatively, muted but these various modifications (including moving amplifiers around) have taken these speakers in to a very different league.

One very happy bunny here :):):)

Regards

Richard

Good Morning All,

That's a step in the next direction taken in that I've just bought Geoff's K400 cable.

Well actually, in truth, that's the second step in the last 24hrs. I was checking out my Linn account yesterday evening and saw that Sound Optimisation was at algorithm 3.0.1 against the 2.3.4 I was using.

I've been comparing versions this morning and definitely prefer the newer one.

One question I have is why, in the speaker placement section, they describe the speaker as being defined by its 'outer corner'. It may be the way my brain works but the outer corner would be the one furthest from the wall??? Linn appear to think that the front corner nearest the wall is the 'outer corner', so obviously from the listener's perspective!!

As David Ellwood extols the benefits of driving both woofers directly I'll be trying this once the K400 turns up. I'll be using both channels of the two lower NAP250's to drive them.

My maximum capability currently would also allow me to drive each of the midranges directly.

I now need to ask my long suffering other half to give me a hand getting the speakers off their stands again to drill some holes for additional terminals, handily available having scrapped one pair of cabinets.......

Akik4gt.jpg

Regards

Richard

My own speakers are modified to remove the top drivers and Im happy that they sound more focussed and tight without the extra energy firing upwards.

Good Afternoon All,

My attempts to try further channels of amplification into the modified Briks is being frustrated by the COVID-19 flare-up in Aberdeen. The recently bought K400 cable has arrived at the flat but we aren't supposed to go into Aberdeen unless strictly necessary and, in the event of being stopped, collecting some speaker cable hardly seems 'essential'.

Meantime I've cleaned up my original standard pair of Briks and replaced the three tweeters (damaged cones) with UBG and posted them on a well known internet auction site.

Still pondering the way ahead. I haven't used the Karik/ Numerik in months and, TBH, the LP12 hasn't been played in a month ........ time to move the CD bits on me thinks. Do I replace the NAC52 c/w Supercap and SNAXO c/w Supercap with an Exactbox? Time to see if Robert Ritchie has one available and we can arrange a demo.

Regards

Richard

Good Morning All,

The pair of TDL 3020/ GT01's arrived this morning despite being left in the (in)capable hands of Hermes for the last part of the journey......

2zVIVRu.jpg

Physically they are slightly shallower than the IMF128/ 20's but still aren't going to readily fit Kustone'd Briks.

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon All,

Life can be a little frustrating at times.

In the first instance trying to contact organisations via their online links......... In the case of the firm off whom I wanted to buy a radiator I gave up after two days and phoned them to confirm they had the one I wanted and could deliver here up to rural Aberdeenshire (for those interested I'm trying to reduce the temperature of water circulating out of the heat pump for next winter and the current 700 x 700mm Stelrad triple panel job in bathroom isn't 'big' enough so I've just ordered an Ultraheat 900 x 900mm triple panel job [9TS900]).

Having EM'd Robert Ritchie they replied advising they don't do Exactbox's (slightly raised eyebrow as they are a Linn dealer!) so they suggested a Linn dealer in Edinburgh (no names but there is only the one officially listed on the Linn site). No response to an EM enquiry after 48hrs and, so far, no response to a message left on their Answerphone.

One could be left with a particular impression but, for now, I'll choose to remain charitable - perhaps they are just far too busy installing Karousel upgrades?

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

I've been contacted by the dealer in Edinburgh now and, hopefully, I should be getting a demo Exactbox c/w suitable cables shipped up for me to try out.

In the meantime the K400 cables I had posted to the flat in Aberdeen remains 'locked down' for another week due to the 177 positive COVID cases..........

Regards

Richard

Good Morning All,

Having finally decided to get on with selling bits via various routes I seem to be spending a fair amount of time posting bits on a well known internet auction site and boxing them up and posting them when sold.

That's the Karik/ Numerik going to pastures new so there's no going back on that decision now. I'm boxing up the one set of speakers/ stands and crossovers in readiness for strapping them to a pallet (only two pairs of Briks in the house then).

Have had to order suitable cables for the Exactbox from Flashback. The Exactbox has been requested from Linn so I'll just have to wait patiently.

Must get back to packing Briks.....

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back