advertisement

One for the Isobarik Experts

The Kustone is making me laugh, firstly in how little there is and secondly because a very similar compound is sold for use as biological filtration media for aquariums.... It looks almost identical.

Do you imagine Linn invented a new material?

I don't understand this? I thought the Tonogen bass units were cheaper and poorer than the Kef ones in the Isobarik?

I believe that the all three drivers i.e. Keltic, TDL and IMF have a 'superior' bass performance on paper and all are used by Simon Hamnett. My intention is to try them all (if I can source them) and, if I feel they don't offer a sonic improvement, there is a ready market for selling them on.

I probably need to add the 'new' B139's to the test process as well.

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon All,

That's 4off Linn Keltic bass units sourced now..........

Regards

Richard

mXAkUYh.jpg

David,

No I haven't set my mind to it yet and nor have I really tackled the issue of machining these cabinets for the Scan-speak drivers.

Regards

Richard

Did you get the rear 139 out yet?

David et al,

Today I decided to get on with removing all drive units, gaskets, fixings etc. from the late model Isobariks.

IwSfA7j.jpg

d7Idsf8.jpg

LvUn5SU.jpg

OK so now I can see the challenge. Some comedian at the Linn factory thought it would be a good wheeze to install the rear bass driver and then glue in the Kustone blocks...............

I haven't forced anything yet but clearly in my limited efforts so far the speaker keeps coming into contact with one (or more) of the Kustone blocks - anyone been down this road and found a non-damaging method?

Worst case would possibly involve deliberate partial destruction of an in-situ block. I have no idea how possible it is to remove the already modified blocks off the back of the B110 units.........

Extra edit - just found foam blocks lurking.....

JVNwLn4.jpg

Regards

Richard

I managed to find a route past by pushing the b139 right into the far corner of the cavity allowing the other end to be clear of the kustone. but its tight.

David,

OK I'll have a look when it's a little cooler and bit less muggy so frustration doesn't creep in (well at least too early) ..............

Regards

Richard

David,

Couldn't resist having a look before heading outside and with just a little bit of wriggling the unit has come out to reveal three bits of Kustone lurking in the back cavity............

dy8a1cb.jpg

Now to focus on sorting the woodworking required.

Regards

Richard

David,

I noted that the soft foam seals for the bass units still got a dollop of sealant on them..........., not what I was expecting from previously posted comments.

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

That's the rear B139 out of the second cabinet. It was more challenging than the first as one Kustone block is more then a little askew.......... some gentle shaving was required.

Have now removed the Scan-speak units from the other, already modified Isobariks.

This evening I have noticed an ink stamp inside the isobaric enclosure 'Greaves of Sheffield'. I thought that when the cabinet making was outsourced it went to Leon Levin of Glasgow but wasn't aware it changed yet again?

Could be dropping off the cabinets and drivers to a local outfit on Monday.

I wasn't overly impressed with what I found under the midrange units:-

pHZNXZZ.jpg

zzvEOvy.jpg

Externally the rebate looks reasonably tidy work but what lies underneath is untidy to say the least. All the Scan-speak drivers are secured with six fixings and, in this case, at least one was loose in five of the eight. The units are secured using Allen headed drive screws. I guess such things are OK but I would prefer some form of captive fitting personally.

Regards

Richard

That driver is just physically too big to be properly fitted. I’d be worried that the butcher that did this had compromised the air tightness of the mid enclosure.

David et al,

These cabinets are scrap anyway now as I doubt anybody could use them so they'll be away to the wood skip at the recycling centre on Thursday........, just got to wrestle the rear B139's out.....

I'll be posting some of the drivers for sale shortly. I intend keeping the original B139's back in case the alternate drivers don't work out.

I'm going to be delivering the cabinets to the cabinetmaker 0930 Monday morning and will be speaking with both the boss and the man who will be doing the work. The above pictures will be to hand........

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon All,

Well that's the rear B139's out of the donor Isobariks. This is a handy tool:-

DfUkymk.jpg

This is the donor and Kustone pair of Isobariks being worked on:-

7gWNGJL.jpg

First reserves whilst main pair away:-

EsuW70r.jpg

Second reserves:-

vtjXeAk.jpg

Aided by my long suffering wife, Kate, we'll load the Kustone Isobariks in to the Skoda this afternoon.

Regards

Richard

Hats off to you Richard, that's a pretty major project you've taken on there! I always make a rule of never going back in hi-fi, but the Isobarik (and possibly the SBL), is a louspeaker I'd like to re-visit at some point!

advertisement

Back