advertisement

Once In a Lifetime

Thanks for all good wishes. Appreciated.

I bought myself a rather expensive Saint Emilion in Sainsburys, paid for by my mate Kwasi. Looking forward to cooking chicken thighs in a chorizo/olive/apricot/garlic/honey marinade later.

So, retirement. What’s all that about?

The worrying bit as somebody once said is when you get to 60+ and then realise d@mn near the first 1/3rd of your life has gone already..

Happy Birthday Oul lad - and many, many Happy Returns :)

Thanks for all good wishes. Appreciated.

I bought myself a rather expensive Saint Emilion in Sainsburys, paid for by my mate Kwasi. Looking forward to cooking chicken thighs in a chorizo/olive/apricot/garlic/honey marinade later.

So, retirement. What’s all that about?
I’m fifteen months ahead of you and am happy to tell you that your Big One is next year. Money for nothing! Why did no-one tell me getting old rocks? As for retirement, I never really worked that one out. It either happened about fifteen years ago or it looks like it never will. Just a question of degree.

Yes that will be icing on the cake. But the clincher is the bus pass, next year too in these parts. I’m already getting concession rates at the theatre and entry to various interesting places, but being able to get to the beach without the hassle of parking, or worrying about drinking too many sherberts, will have its attractions.

As well as all the freebies, bus passes, concessionary prices, etc., the arthritis I suffer means I use a walking stick and this is marvellous for getting special treatment in queues, theatres, public transport, airport security, etc..

Steady on, there are limits. You’ll be proposing disabled parking soon. On the other hand….

When you were five a year was 20% of your life. When you were 20 a year was 5% of your life. Now its 1.3%. So time doesn’t go faster you’ve just got more experience of it

...the arthritis I suffer means I use a walking stick and this is marvellous for getting special treatment in queues, theatres, public transport, airport security, etc..
It’s also perfect for shaking angrily at skateboard punks, as I hope @Joe P will testify before too long.

Happy birthday!

Hope the Saint Emilion is safely dispatched and you are tucked up in bed snoring at this time of day.....;)

When you were five a year was 20% of your life. When you were 20 a year was 5% of your life. Now its 1.3%. So time doesn’t go faster you’ve just got more experience of it
I prefer the view from Oliver Burkeman, he posits the finitude of our lives in his recent book. Nowadays we may hopefully expect to live to 80, that’s 4000 weeks! I’ve reached 3200 and trying to plan those last 800. This really focuses the mind and necessitates that you ignore what happened in the first 3200 weeks. Life’s a bitch, ain’t it?

Hope you had a good day, Nero. I see from another thread that you got Covid for your birthday. Bummer, hopefully it’ll be mild and short. Best wishes.

advertisement

Back