advertisement

Omega Single Driver Speakers

novak

pfm Member
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with Omega speakers in the US?

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/omegaspeakerstor.html
http://omegaloudspeakers.com/super3xrs.html (For 3XRS model.)

This single driver design, without a crossover obviously, has been picking up a few praises I see.

Albeit limited for any real judgement, they sound pretty good here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rIwm9Mwm-gc

I'm interested in tiny, low profile floorstanders to suit a particular place in our house, so have been researching the Omega Super 3XRS as well as the Neat Iota Alpha and the Shahinian Larcs. I'm intrigued by the crossover-free design and love how tiny these things are. Plus they're very efficient to drive.

Any thoughts / experiences would be great!

It is a shame JimP of this parish is on his jollies at the moment. He gets a lot of stuff from the USA having relations over there. He's the man to comment on these.

He has a set of the weird floorstanding marble effect Omegas with the tiny single driver.
He set them up for me with a tiny red wine battery powered pre and power amp. Probably one of the biggest shockers I've heard out of all the hifi I've ever listened too, simply bloody incredible.

I'm interested in tiny, low profile floorstanders to suit a particular place in our house, so have been researching the Omega Super 3XRS as well as the Neat Iota Alpha and the Shahinian Larcs. I'm intrigued by the crossover-free design and love how tiny these things are. Plus they're very efficient to drive.

Any thoughts / experiences would be great!

I'd look into the DIY Frugal Horn thing. I heard a couple of pairs at Scalford last year, each using different drivers, and I was very impressed with them indeed. They seemed to lack the obvious colouration of many single-driver speakers and within their obviously limited volume capabilities were really superb. It's an avenue I'd like to explore myself at some point.

It is a shame JimP of this parish is on his jollies at the moment. He gets a lot of stuff from the USA having relations over there. He's the man to comment on these.

He has a set of the weird floorstanding marble effect Omegas with the tiny single driver.
He set them up for me with a tiny red wine battery powered pre and power amp. Probably one of the biggest shockers I've heard out of all the hifi I've ever listened too, simply bloody incredible.

Indeed, I have heard similar from other witnesses!

I recently did a cartridge setup for a gentleman running the Omega Super 7 Mk.2 plus the deepOmega 8 subwoofer. My thoughts after listening to a couple of sides were decidedly negative - shouty, honky, strident and disjointed. While the all solid state amplification may have had something to do with this (specifically his use of class d amplification), I personally couldn't wait to get out of his room. If the speakers were driven with a better electronics chain, especially one utilizing vacuum tube amplification, it may have sounded better. I will make a full disclosure and say that the only single-driver speakers I've ever heard that I enjoyed were modified Lowthers - every Fostex based design I've heard has left me wanting. YMMV and all that.

advertisement

Back