advertisement

Omega Loudspeakers first impressions (Single Driver / No Crossover)

novak

pfm Member
I have been interested in Omega for a while since reading a few good reports. Mostly out of curiosity for a second system, I decided to give some a try.

I bought the Omega Super 3XRS – https://omegaloudspeakers.com/products/super-3xrs?variant=32185046156

They're very tiny – similar dimensions to Royd Minstrels, but a little wider. Beautifully made, real cherry veneer, well-crafted cabinets with a nice weight to them.

I was interested in the single driver and no crossover approach, and simply hearing what's coming from the amplifier. I read reports that they are fast and revealing, easy to drive with 2 watts, and have a good soundstage. I also read that the earlier models were too peaky, but understand the Fostex drivers are now replaced with an in house RS5 driver.

They arrived yesterday, and whilst I'm searching for an amplifier, I hooked them up to my Jadis Orchestra. My room is a decent size at 6m x 4.5m. High ceilings.

First impressions are good. They are very, very revealing and fast. I wasn't expecting deep bass, but they're not lacking bass at all. They're also incredibly good at very low volumes, with no loss of detail or dynamics. They have a bit of a Linn Kan vibe, but with more natural tone and a warmer bass, and more delicacy, but the speed and insight is Kan-like. The soundstage is spooky – I remember Shahinian Larcs being like this.

In sharp contrast, my Harbeth SHL5+ are smoother, warmer, rounded, and bigger, but that is to be expected. And nothing does mid-range like the Harbeths! Still, a nice contrast to have the two ends of the spectrum.

They're worth checking out, especially as they're quite different in terms of design/technology. They look the part, too.

I wouldn’t say the top end limited, although I was expecting it might be just that. I thought they might be very ‘mid range’ centric - given the small driver that gives that appearance. They’re very open at the top, quite remarkable.

I have a pair here. When bought, they had the Fostex drivers but before bringing them home to UK I visited Louis Cochos (hope I've spelled his name correctly) at his workshop in Norwalk.

He retrofitted the hemp drivers (also to a pair of standmount Super 3s) and built a Hemp Cube sub in matching finish. I say 'finish' because it isn't veneer, it's a formica type of laminate. Not a mark on them and must be 15 years old by now!

He also changed the port tubes to the then current shape (better tuned) and replaced the driver mounting screws for brass because during his ongoing development decided that they brought a tiny improvement over steel:)

An amazing artisan and smashing to deal with.

I ran them as a 4.1 surround system for a while but these days the standmounts are in an office system and the XRS floor standers and sub are only brought out occasionally.

Jim

advertisement

Back