advertisement

Olympus quits on cameras

I think it all depends on future investment in the brand and products.

Many photographers keep looking for the new improved camera which is going to make them take better pictures. No new products and sales will eventually dry up.

I keep trying to tell myself that ant exception to that idea. I'm happy with my current camera, Lumix G80, and know that it is a better camera than I am a photographer. Buying a G9 or G90 won't improve my photos, only practice and critical evaluation will.

I grew up playing with my Dad's Olympus cameras so always had a soft spot for them. Over the years I've had a number of slr's and rangefinders OM1, OM2N, OM10, OM4Ti, 35RC's, 35RD's, 35SP, XA's, XA2, XA3, XA4
I only have an XA and the 35SP now

Thanks for the link, Colin - always found Ming's articles a good read. Some well-considered replies too.

As a user of Olympus gear for some time now, this news does sadden me, but I cannot shake the feeling that it's the thin end of a wedge. Those companies with significant financial clout (ie Sony & Canon) will I'm sure be fine, but I also fear for those such as Nikon. One would of course hope with the Olympus name being such a strong one, it could help them but nostalgia doesn't always shift units. Talking of which, even Harley-Davidson are in big trouble.

Olympus has always my preference for cameras, so this is sad to read.
It is a buy-out though and not a closure at this point, so lets not be too gloomy.

I was thinking of buying one in fact, and this development isn't going to change that.
Other than covering defect on purchase (or soon after) I care nothing for camera warranties since I never recall breaking or damaging a camera - to us enthusiast amateurs they are delicate and expensive toys and we tend to baby them, well I do.
So if I'm stuck with a dud EM10 5-10 years from now, Olympus the brand have vanished and nobody can fix it, that's life.

This seems like a good video about the reasons why it happened.

As for me I actually bought my first Olympus lens for what seemed like a really good deal, the 300mm f4 IS Pro and I will think about what body to use it with.
The weight, size, image quality and minimum focusing distance has no alternative at this point.

Flash sale on the Olympus UK site at the moment. Pick up the £499 E-M10/3 with kit lens for £399 and get a Zuiko 45mm/1.8 for free.
The latter retails at £150+ on its own so that's a very nice deal if you want an OMD.

I've used the 45mm lens before on the M10 Mk1 and it's a lovely prime lens.

Oh and the M10/3 shoots lovely, stabilised 4K video. Better late than never :)

Be quick though - 5 day only sale with 2 remaining....

I've used the 45mm lens before on the M10 Mk1 and it's a lovely prime lens.

Oh and the M10/3 shoots lovely, stabilised 4K video. Better late than never :)

Be quick though - 5 day only sale with 2 remaining....

Hi Rob - good to see you in the Photo Room, hope all well.

Just been looking at what's available in the Olympus sale, and there are indeed some excellent deals. That Oly 45mm is a peach of a lens, and IME one of the biggest 'bangs per buck' of any photographic product available, regardless of manufacturer. Small, light, very sharp and with a wonderful 'pop' to its images.

Hi Rob - good to see you in the Photo Room, hope all well.

Just been looking at what's available in the Olympus sale, and there are indeed some excellent deals. That Oly 45mm is a peach of a lens, and IME one of the biggest 'bangs per buck' of any photographic product available, regardless of manufacturer. Small, light, very sharp and with a wonderful 'pop' to its images.

Hi Richard - all good thanks and nice to be here :)

I've ordered the M10 Mk3 kit offer in black.
Used to own the Mk1 but I've been thinking about getting a 4K capable camera recently for Youtube stuff, so this sale offer is timely and a no-brainer with that 45mm thrown in for free.

I really hope the new owners can reshape things and save the OMD and Zuiko brands.
Apparently Olympus top the chart for camera sales in Japan, so they must be doing some things right.

All arrived ship shape.
I also picked up a portable Olympus audio recorder which can hot shoe mount onto the camera, and a bag.
Sound from the recorder is pretty stellar - 24/96 flat response recordings are a world away from the old Oly pocket recorders.

I see they've just announced some new lenses coming soon, so there is hope.

KZDV22Bh.jpg

All arrived ship shape.
I also picked up a portable Olympus audio recorder which can hot shoe mount onto the camera, and a bag.
Sound from the recorder is pretty stellar - 24/96 flat response recordings are a world away from the old Oly pocket recorders.

KZDV22Bh.jpg

The Zoom recorders can also be shoe mounted with a simple adapter

The OMD EM1 Mkiii came out in March - so quite a range of new products. If you join the
https://www.e-group.uk.net/forum/
there are regular Zoom meetings there has been 3 featuring Olympus management and several with Oly users demoing or showing their work.

I have been a user since 2002 primarily because of the image stabillsation and low weight of the products.

Wow that's news some iconic 35mm SLRs. My first SLR was a Nikon but always remember a friend of mine swore by Olympus kit.

All arrived ship shape.

KZDV22Bh.jpg
Robert

How are you getting on with the Olympus?

There is a new promo until 5th October with the 14-150mm for £549, seriously tempted

https://shop.olympus.eu/en_GB/promo.html?id=14785

Gus

advertisement

Back