advertisement

Olympus OM10 - checking the seals?

flatpopely

Prog Rock/Moderator
My Dad has just given me a mint OM10.

y4mmEYVz0p0gzojl6PrmEzi4NKoTG7-kxBKyaMAnd5SCxi0qgQw31SEuzeBs-sikON2MYVeCA8wYXk6ZxN60JavEs_D9ZMFJddSCr94gfV47fpZNRtkD57HLhrINP4iURNr6r46opstaHndiGLanAI4CGdujyQqAQEibWlGl4338xFt0uP9DsRSFqnEHFfJgbSJjeTerCh4wHafjNCKCvP3QQ

I had an OM2SP in the past and loved it but since buying a Nikon D40 I've never used film.

The OM10 works and all functions are good. I have read about checking that the seals work.
Is there any easy way to check this without running some film though it?

I hope it's OK as it a nice thing to hold in the hand.

P.S. If I want to buy some 'test' film what should I get?

You can normally tell if the seals are bad as they are obviously decaying. If they are intact and have some spring/give to the foam or rubber chances are they are ok.

PS I had to get my Nikkormat done, but that is a lot older than an OM10.

They are breaking up slightly. If I shine a torch through the lens with the shutter open in bulb mode if I cannot see any leakage will that confirm that no light will get through?

Not necessarily as light travels in straight lines and the angle needed to fog the edge of the film wouldn’t necessarily be visible through the lens. If they are breaking up I’d get it done. You can likely DIY if you don’t want to pay camera shop money.

The OM10 cost you nothing ,, It should have sentimental value now and into the future
So why not send it away and have the seals renewed

I have had a few OM cameras including an OM2SP and an OM10, in fact I still have a couple of OM1's. Your OM10 looks lovely but will feel quite low rent compared to your previous OM2SP which was a marvelous camera. I would be tempted to leave it alone as its a lovely object as it stands.

I replaced the seals on 2 OM2's and an OM10, I got kits for the OM2 but just bought some thin stick on foam from Ebay for the OM10.
Its easy to do and the ebay foam cost next to nothing.

The foam goes all crumbly when its knackered.

Pete

The OM10s were built to a price, and unfortunately a lot of the mechanism is plastic. For that reason, it's not of any great monetary value. As your Dad gave it to you, and it looks great, I'd just replace the seals myself and give it a go. You have the manual adaptor on there, which is worth as much as the camera body! As I guide, you'd pay £150 minimum for a service, I've not had one done for 3 or 4 years now so I'm a little out of date. If that's what you want to do I highly recommend Luton Camera Repair Services. I have an OM1, OM2, OM10, and my favorite, a 35SP rangefinder from the late 60s - big Olympus fan ;)

Test film, for cheap film try Kodak ColorPlus 200. Better films would be Portra 160, or Ektar 100 for more saturated colours.

24624892098_ae842a8492_z.jpg

I'll have a go at the seals myself, I've seen the kits on eBay and it looks straight forward.
I have all the tools and isopropyl to do the job correctly.

I will not be selling it so the value is of no concern but I did take a look and you're correct they aren't worth much, <£100, but then the OM2SP isn't either!

It's not as solid as the 2SP and the film speed dial is fiddly to use but in the hand it doesn't feel cheap.

I'll run a roll through it in 'Auto' mode and see what results I get, thanks for the recomendations.

I will not be selling it so the value is of no concern but I did take a look and you're correct they aren't worth much, <£100, but then the OM2SP isn't either!

I'm glad you don't want to sell :) The OM10 body is worth a tenner without new seals, the 50/1.8 is pretty nice, but again 10 or 15 quid, the manual adaptor another 10 or 15... The 2SP is in a different league, body only maybe £50, perhaps £100 for a recently serviced camera. They're not expensive cameras but fabulous. I only mention monetary value so that you can judge it against the cost of a service. You can test the shutter timing on an iPhone BTW

Plenty of cocktail sticks too to eek out the gunge once it's been soaked in meths/lighter fluid.

I did the seals on both my Nikon FE and Mamiya 645 a while ago - it's a fiddly job but quite satisfying.

Does anyonw know what the 'dithered, disruptive blocks' badge is just above the rewind mechanism clutch release is?

My first proper camera was an OM1n. A beautiful thing, still to my mind the classic SLR. Far smaller and lighter than a Nikon F series or Nikkormat, but really no less well made. I kind of miss it, but I’d never shoot film again so no reason beyond sentimental value.

Does anyonw know what the 'dithered, disruptive blocks' badge is just above the rewind mechanism clutch release is?

Olympus invented the first exposure control system for the OM2 that measured light reflected directly off the film. My memory is very murky but the 10 inherited a similar feature and I think the badge is a nod to that.

It was a representation of the OM's 'random' black and white metering pattern, which took readings from the film plane. I believe they named it the TTL 'OTF light measuring system' or some such. Was a brilliant system, particularly in flash photography.

Brings back memories, OM10 was my first camera 30 years ago, remember saving up to buy the manual adapter, then a Tamron zoom.

Nice present.

advertisement

Back