advertisement

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk3

mikechadwick

pfm Member
Thinking of buying a E-M1 Mk3 & the 100-400 F5-F6.3 as a "lighter" alternative to my FF kit specifically for bird watching. Does it make sense to buy Olympus now they've been sold? Maybe a second hand Mk2 would be better purchase. Advice would be appreciated before I make a decision.

Last edited:
Why does it matter who owns Olympus cameras? .... just because they separated from the original company that makes scientific instruments, doesn't mean the cameras became junk overnight!

And they absolutely are not junk.... I just obtained a E-M5 mk3 and I'm gobsmacked how good the IQ is, and how much easier it is to carry around than my usual FF.

I'd say go for it, Mike - Olympus are alive and well, and still have a lens roadmap for the future. Nothing whatsoever to do with any fear (or not, in my mind) of buying a new Mk3, it wasn't a huge leap ahead of the Mk2. Same EVF, same sensor, plus IBIS on the Mk2 is already incredible. The Mk3 does offer hand-held hi-res though, but c/w the 2 it comes at a price. You'll get a very clean Mk2 for around 600 quid from a dealer.

I still need to try the 50MP hi res mode on the E-5. But I will take the tripod for it though.

The E-5 is so dinky I gave up on the neck strap after about 20 mins, took it and the clips off and am using the old wrist-strap from my first digital camera - a Canon Powershot A80 which proudly boasts 4.0 Mega Pixels! on its front panel.

(And its got a 512MB compact flash card inside)

I'm not listening! (says the man who has been seriously thinking of buying an Olympus camera over the past week..... :D )

Lefty

Why does it matter who owns Olympus cameras? .... just because they separated from the original company that makes scientific instruments, doesn't mean the cameras became junk overnight!

And they absolutely are not junk.... I just obtained a E-M5 mk3 and I'm gobsmacked how good the IQ is, and how much easier it is to carry around than my usual FF.

Very near to pulling the trigger on a Mk3 body - pretty good at £800 AZ price !! - this to replace my original model EM-5 (one of the wheels fell off after 7 years of battering)

Bit hesitant though over the polycarbonate body which one reviewer described as 'a bit plasticky to the touch'

Is it really noticeable??

Thanks Gromit, I used to pick up the various Olympus, Fuji and DSLRs whenever I went into John Lewis across the past 10 years. I’m a sucker for the largest viewfinders and also the fit and feel in the hand, my favourites were the Pen-F but not the viewfinder and the EM5 versions with the EM1 too expensive for me to justify until The prices came down but I hadn’t expected to get this kit new at the price.

The viewfinder is fantastic, I can actually see a huge bright image to compose and it feels like I’m finally going to have a great journey for many years with it. I would suggest Mike looks at this before going for the 5 and this feels worlds away from the E510 I had several years ago.

Very near to pulling the trigger on a Mk3 body - pretty good at £800 AZ price !! - this to replace my original model EM-5 (one of the wheels fell off after 7 years of battering)

Bit hesitant though over the polycarbonate body which one reviewer described as 'a bit plasticky to the touch'

Is it really noticeable??

What's noticeable is how light it is. Haven't really noticed it being less substantial than other cameras other than its smaller and lighter. I looked at the E-M1 too but it is a bit bigger, but the grip might be useful for some of the larger lenses.

I encouraged my hesitant daughter in buying an E-M1 camera a year ago. It is a fantastic camera, period.

Thanks all. I’ve had many Olympus cameras in the past (back to the venerable OM-1) and always appreciated the ergonomics. I think going for a Mk2 makes most sense but a nice looking used Mk3 has just shown up on eBay :rolleyes:

advertisement

Back