advertisement

OLRB300 Set UP

RobJ

pfm Member
Hi All

Notwithstanding the fact that I'm starting to feel like an annoying kid on this forum (and I'm 38!) with a hundred 'obvious' questions, any advice on the below would be great, this is the last stage in my Garrard project, before the 'great launch' where I can start listening to vinyl again!

Setting up the OL RB300;

- VTA: Using the michell adjuster, I've heard VTA should be set up so the arm is level with the surface of a record? so that's not when the arm is locked in it's holder, but free floating next to the record? I noticed when setting up the cartridge that when on the inner null point, the back of the arm was touching the record, so I've adjusted height until this does not happen, but that's it. Tad confused over this one.

- I've read I should set the tracking force (the dial on the side?) to 3g to disable the internal spring and then set tracking force with the counterweight, but I do not have tracking force scales, so should I just set the dial to whatever the M97xe says is the desired force and leave it at that?

- If the dial on the side is tracking force, what's the switch on the front with the numbers on? Is this anti skating? any ideas what this should be set at?

Many thanks
Rob

Hi All

Notwithstanding the fact that I'm starting to feel like an annoying kid on this forum (and I'm 38!) with a hundred 'obvious' questions, any advice on the below would be great, this is the last stage in my Garrard project, before the 'great launch' where I can start listening to vinyl again!

Setting up the OL RB300;

- VTA: Using the michell adjuster, I've heard VTA should be set up so the arm is level with the surface of a record? so that's not when the arm is locked in it's holder, but free floating next to the record? I noticed when setting up the cartridge that when on the inner null point, the back of the arm was touching the record, so I've adjusted height until this does not happen, but that's it. Tad confused over this one.

- I've read I should set the tracking force (the dial on the side?) to 3g to disable the internal spring and then set tracking force with the counterweight, but I do not have tracking force scales, so should I just set the dial to whatever the M97xe says is the desired force and leave it at that?

- If the dial on the side is tracking force, what's the switch on the front with the numbers on? Is this anti skating? any ideas what this should be set at?

Many thanks
Rob

Rob.

Adjust the VTA so that when the stylus is resting on the record the arm is parallel with the record BUT as its a tapered tube the centre line of the arm tube should be level. If you adjust the top of the arm to be parallel then the rear of the arm will be too low. What you are looking for is the headshell/cart is parallel to the record.

If you have no stylus gauge then set the arm usiing the Rega adjuster. Balance the arm with the adjuster at zero using the counterweight. When its balanced apply the force using the gauge.

Yes the other dial is the bias, set to about 1gm and try it.

Good luck

I'm guessing he want's the take the spring out of circuit, it's audibility is one of those internet myths. With the Tecnoweight you are kinda screwed if you don't have scales because the arm weight readings are not accurate.

ex rb700/tecnoweight user.

When you say the weight readings are not accurate, how far out do you mean? There is a clear indent per 0.1g on the stub I thought.

Thanks chaps, that makes sense. the internet is a dangerous thing! yet the source of all info I've had regarding this project.

advertisement

Back