advertisement

olive 250 into nap200 chassis

longmanjon

pfm Member
hi all

someone has the all the internals of a naim olive 250, and i currently have a NAP200 which i would like to keep the same chassis type, is possible to install the 250 parts into the 200 given a bit of mechanical work?
i am a mechanical engineer so have some skills at least.

jon

Yes, the casework is exactly the same size.

Probably not he most financially sensible move though since you effectively destroy a 200 and you won't get much for its leftover parts.

There was a whole CB 250 on yesterday at a BIN of £750 which looks as though it's been serviced by witchhat and has inherited the final revision of amp and regulator boards.

Alternatively just buy a 250.2 and sell your 200. I doubt that will cost much more than a net £500 at present.

Hang on a minute.... are you absolutely sure that you will prefer the sound from a vintage 250 ?
I ask this because I have heard both in my system and was surprised at the outcome.
Best that you don't get a nasty surprise.

I agree with colasblue and nws56 on this one, it doesn't make much sense to do this, even though the guts would fit in a NAP200 case you would have to drill it quite a bit to mount the 250 guts, so even if you put the NAP200 back together that's a lot of the resale value lost, and you would struggle to sell olive 250 guts in a 200 case - Naim buyers are often fussy about big mods, a couple of caps here and there ok, but wholesale changes like this would be a no go for most buyers. Also as nws56 said soundwise it might not be worth it to you. If you want to have a play and have ALL the guts of the olive 250 (xfmr/PSU bridges/PSU caps/wiring and the 4 boards etc etc) you could go for the "holy crap that's dangerous" option and screw it all to a slab of aluminum as a temporoary trial and see what you think.
Personally what I would do is bite the bullet and buy a used NAP250 complete (of whichever type you like CB/Olive/250.2), try it out for a while and then sell the one you don't want, you won't lose much if anything reselling NAPs if they haven't been messed with. If buying used take a look inside to see whats really in there, or ask for photos of the inside or a return policy - there are lots of butchered naim amps out there.

I have heard both in my system and was surprised at the outcome.
How would you describe the difference between the olive (roughly pre-2000) and the new-look stuff (roughly post-2000)? I ask because I got stuck in a world of olives and I never ventured forth into the new era. Going even further, I never understood how a power amp could be called DR, if they didn't originally contain monolithic pre-amp supplies (LM317s) anyway.

The original regulator boards of the 250 already were discrete regulator circuits, so the name "DR" could be applied even without any changes...

How would you describe the difference between the olive (roughly pre-2000) and the new-look stuff (roughly post-2000)? I ask because I got stuck in a world of olives and I never ventured forth into the new era. Going even further, I never understood how a power amp could be called DR, if they didn't originally contain monolithic pre-amp supplies (LM317s) anyway.
A friend brought his Nap 200 (non DR ) over to try against my cb era 140. It gripped the flabby bottom of my TDL rtl 3s like nothing else ever had, and suddenly they weren't flabby anymore.Soundstage went wider too. Lots to like everywhere you looked. Same friend brought a cb 250 over a couple of years later, but there was not the same magical transformation. Improvement, yes , a bit . But nothing like before. Wasn't sure at the time why this was so, and still not sure today. Made a mental note to always,always,always try stuff in my own system rather than trust 'accepted wisdom'.
Those TDLs have long gone, the system is now much revealing, and how I long to try amplifiers of that calibre once again...preferences could be reversed in the context of this system.
Sadly,my friend is no longer inclined to dismantle his fastidious cabling and cart heavy boxes cross country.
Not sure where that leaves you. Well, actually I am sure - you need to beg, borrow or steal stuff from folk with Naim gear not being used.
In fact, I'm going to beat you to it with a plea on this very forum; - WANTED : exotic amplifiers to borrow. Anything considered. All letters answered. Discretion assured.

Last edited:
The original regulator boards of the 250 already were discrete regulator circuits, so the name "DR" could be applied even without any changes...
Good day
DR is different schematic of discrete power regulator.
If you look in DR HI-CAP and DR in Power amp schematic very same :)) But discrete power reg in old NAP250 is different.

The DR are new Steve Sels design of voltage regulator.

hi all

someone has the all the internals of a naim olive 250, and i currently have a NAP200 which i would like to keep the same chassis type, is possible to install the 250 parts into the 200 given a bit of mechanical work?
i am a mechanical engineer so have some skills at least.

jon
Good day
If you build nap 250 parts inside nap200 chassis you need relocate parts of NAC32.5 or NAC52 to new chassis too :)) because NAP250 need old preamps sound :))

Reactions: jpk

advertisement

Back