advertisement

OLED Vs QLED TVs.

An OLED TV. Or an alternative that is as good as.

Thought that was what the whole thread was about.

But people just like to jump in and divert it for some strange reason.
I only posted to correct a mistaken assumption which may have misled people.

LG produce all of the worlds OLEDs because they own the patent. It boils down to what you actually do with that panel that counts. Sony do it far far better.

LG OLED TV's are OK , I have a 55 inch in the study for gaming with an Xbox series X and for that it's really quite good.

For movies and especially Dolby Vision, brighter is better. We have a Sony XE9305 65 inch in the living room. It does 1400 nits. An OLED can't reach half of that.

Each to their own. Of course.
May I ask if you’ve had a screen professionally calibrated eg ISF?

I own an E7 LG OLED.

I replaced a Sony OLED with it, the Sony's operating system was diabolical, the LG OS is an absolute pleasure to use. The Sony had 'slightly' better motion, but barely noticeable. Definitely not worth considering over the poor OS. The Sony lasted two weeks, before that a Panasonic OLED that lasted two days.

It's almost four years old now and still working wonderfully. Before my entry into OLEDS I had a Panasonic DX902B, widely regarded as one of the best pictures a tv has ever produced, and it was very very good. But the OS was even worse than the Sony, it weighed more than a tank and the LG smashed it in terms of picture quality.

I wont ever divert away from LG now, and I won't ever divert from OLED, it's just too good compared to alternatives. Do it once, do it right and stop convincing yourself LEDs are better because they just aren't!

LG BX55 here - love it. Great for Netflix, Disney, Apple TV etc. via tv apps, but 4K Blu-ray is amazing. Just spend some time with the settings.

I own an E7 LG OLED.

I replaced a Sony OLED with it, the Sony's operating system was diabolical, the LG OS is an absolute pleasure to use. The Sony had 'slightly' better motion, but barely noticeable. Definitely not worth considering over the poor OS. The Sony lasted two weeks, before that a Panasonic OLED that lasted two days.

It's almost four years old now and still working wonderfully. Before my entry into OLEDS I had a Panasonic DX902B, widely regarded as one of the best pictures a tv has ever produced, and it was very very good. But the OS was even worse than the Sony, it weighed more than a tank and the LG smashed it in terms of picture quality.

I wont ever divert away from LG now, and I won't ever divert from OLED, it's just too good compared to alternatives. Do it once, do it right and stop convincing yourself LEDs are better because they just aren't!
Recognise the comments about Sony and the OS, it was pants a few years back, much better these days. The LG OLEDs are pretty hard to beat as an all round package, I was tempted by the Panny Z but on balance the 65CX won out. Have a 58” Panasonic DX750 in the bedroom, the OS is OK but doesn’t get all the Apps and only very occasional OS updates now, absolute bargain open box £400 3 years back so no complaints really.

I have one of each, albeit different sizes .... the OLED is significantly better I believe

Yeah tweaked Android 9 (pie), works fine these days though not like a few years back when it was buggy and slow.

Ah that's good to know, yeah a few years ago it was ridiculous that they sent out 2k tv's with that on it!

I'll have to try one to see if it can match the LG system. What I really like about the LG is that picks up my NAS drive and plays all my videos no matter what the codec, the Panasonic one could barely play any. But again, a few years ago, so it may have moved on now.

The current top couple of ranges of Phillips, LG, Sony, Samsung and Panasonic are neck and neck. There are odd differences and focus on particular areas/features. Sony has the most innovative sound solution using the entire screen as a speaker array, Panasonic has gone after the die hard UHD movie fan, Phillips is the best normal TV all rounder and handles SDR really well, LG is the Gen5 console king and best general purpose TV, Sammy if you don’t want OLED is about on a par with LG as a great all rounder. Pretty much all TV’s handle media and network shares fine these days, usually they pick up Plex, QNAP, Twonky etc no probs.

I may have mentioned this before ( after far too many scoops of wine - apologies if anyone was offended) that Samsung don't do Dolby Vision.

So that's a big no here. I really like Dolby Vision but it has to be on on a screen that goes really bright. OLED's just can't do that, regardless of the manufacturer. Samsung have their own version (HDR10 +) but I can't help but feel that it will go the same way Betamax did way back when.

Horses for courses Your mileage etc..

PS if you have Amazon Prime and decent internet, check out Aquaman for some Dolby Vision goodness. It's a silly film but it looks really quite something (well it did on a 1400 nit TV screen)

Personally, I've always bought Panasonic, back from Plasma days. I now have a ~3-year old TX-55FZ802B OLED which I am still very pleased with. I really don't get on with the super saturated and super bright QLED, my living room lighting is not that bright so the low peak brightness of OLED really is not an issue. And unless you lived in a greenhouse, I can't see the need for it to be any brighter.
Even on this 'entry' OLED, a few years old, 4K HDR is stunning.

Main thing I miss from the old Panasonic Plasmas is the metal frame build and glass panel. Really felt they could take a beating where as the OLED, I'm scared to even hold it when moving it! Why does it need to be ~5mm thick?

HDR10+ has the same dynamic metadata stuff DV has, it is open source so uptake has been rapid, Sammy don’t like paying licence fees hence no Dolby Vision.

This years OLED are brighter, likely cos they have worked out how Panasonic has managed to dissipate more heat than anyone else on the same exact panel making their flagship telly from last year 30% brighter than the rest were.

DV IQ will also bump perceived brightness of OLEDs but they will still be second best in a very bright room, if you have such a room lit all the time LED/QLED is a more appropriate choice, I’d say if you don’t dim the room for movies/events then picture quality isn’t top of the list of what you from a telly.

I prefer the LG CX OLED compared to the Samsung QLED it replaced, brightness isn’t the be all and end all, a huge amount of other factors are involved in producing a fantastic picture.

I should imagine a professional calibrator would have a merry duck fit if they ever came 'round and took a look at how we have our Tv's set up.

We like it bright. Really really bright.

I should imagine a professional calibrator would have a merry duck fit if they ever came 'round and took a look at how we have our Tv's set up.

We like it bright. Really really bright.
That’s why TVs have so many options, nowadays a pro ISF calibration isn’t something I bother with, filmmaker mode and expert modes these new TVs pretty much have it nailed for me, helping friends and family out with AV they generally see the Vivid/Dynamic mode and choose the brightest/most garish, often the TV is positioned so sunlight hits it for hours per day, it’s just not important in their world to get the picture spot on.

TBH I never I never watch TV. The wife does. In the evening, after work. Movies at the weekend is a thing but mostly I'm in the man cave playing a game, watching sport or just monging on the internet.

I have a half decent 4k LCD monitor (Acer BM320) running off a Mac mini and a 55 inch LG BX OLED that sits on the wall opposite with an Xbox series X connected. The monitor is just so much brighter in the crispiness stakes. I truly think OLED is one of the most over rated technologies ever invented. But I do like it for gaming. 120fps is a game changer.

I couldnt settle with the Q90T. While it looked amazing with bright content it just didnt satisfy in dark scenes, so I took the Samsung back to the shop and paid an extra €400 to get the LG 65CX instead.

It’s the better all-rounder in my view. I think I made the right choice, in the end.

advertisement

Back