Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Technics SL1200 vs New version?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Alex S, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Simon s

Simon s pfm Member

So big thumbs up for the KAB Fluid damper and so far the GR/G, but still not heard anyone who has compared them side by side with an older modded 1210Mk2/5 ?

2. Simon s

Simon s pfm Member

Does anyone know if KAB distrubute the Fluid dampers in the UK ?

3. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

You buy direct, very painlessly. Too early to know if I’ll face a customs charge.

4. eevo1969

eevo1969 pfm Member

1210 GR here and I am very happy with the deck. I also have a Gyro SE.a
    I owned a modded 1210 Mk 2, AO Rega RB 250, great turntable.
    I sold it on and changed it for a complete Townshend Rock mk 2 which bettered the techie in nearly every way imo.
    The GR feels extremely solid which bearing in mind the older MK 2 didn’t exactly fall apart is reassuring.
    Very happy with what I have but I have a itch for a SL1200/1210 G which I don’t think will go away.

5. Simon s

Simon s pfm Member

Ok, thanks Alex.

6. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Re KAB fluid damper - I didn't get a customs charge on mine and it only took about a week to arrive.

7. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Still going strong.....plus CDJ's.

[​IMG]

https://soundcloud.com/farfromthesun

Rug Doc likes this.
  8. gx502

gx502 pfm Member

You should contact the people from Ammonite Acoustics ( https://ammonite-acoustics.co.uk/ ), who make very high quality arm-boards for the Technics decks. I believe that Hugo from there, has experience with the older decks, and also the new GR/G decks. IIRC he said that the new decks are a big step forwards from the older decks, also he said that the GR is very close in performance as a motor unit to the G.

(I suspect that the magnesium alloy tonearm on the G makes it very good as a complete all in one, simple fit-n-forget package.)

I have no connection to Ammonite, I have simply purchased one of their mounting collars for the Jelco SA-750D in the past.

(IMHO, probably the sweet-spot in terms of value is a new GR fitted with one of the new Jelco arms (TK-850))

9. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 pfm Member

Here’s my 1200G fitted with the Ammonite armboard, a Jelco TK-850S, Koetsu Urushi Sky Blue, and an Auditorium 23 Hommage mat.

I love it.

[​IMG]

10. dreamer69

dreamer69 Active Member

I’ve got a gyrodec but have the urge to change to a 1200gr. How do they compare?

k90tour likes this.
  11. gx502

gx502 pfm Member

Looks great

12. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

Indeed, me too.

13. Simon s

Simon s pfm Member

Thanks for the info.

gx502 likes this.
  14. Simon s

Simon s pfm Member

Your deck looks fantastic. How does the Jelco compare with the stock arm on the 1200G ?

15. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 pfm Member

It worked better with the Koetsu I’m using than the stock arm, which is much lower mass. I used to also have a Kiseki Blue NS, though, which for some actually worked better with the stock arm than the Jelco.

The Jelco does make it easier to get the vta correct because it goes lower than the stock arm. With stock arm, I never felt the vta was low enough with the Koetsu or the Kiseki.

16. Alex S

Erocka, did you choose the mat for looks or sound?

17. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 pfm Member

Sound. It’s probably the best mat I’ve ever used and if I should ever change tables, the mat is staying.

18. Alex S

Hmm, where did you get it?

19. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 pfm Member

I bought mine off of eBay, but any Auditorium 23 dealer can get one for you.

Alex S likes this.
  20. Alex S

Did you compare it to other mats, like the standard/black Auditorium 23? I’ll keep my Sound Dead Steel thing but could do with a thin mat on top instead of the neoprene one that comes with SDS. It picks up static.