advertisement

Old Squeezeboxes and Apple Lossless compatibility

deltaunit

pfm Member
I'm thinking about getting an old slimdevices squeezebox (v3?) and a Qnap NAS. Would this combination be able to play my library of Apple Lossless files?

Does it work natively or does it require conversion on the fly - and if so how easy is it to set up?

Thanks

Hi deltaunit!

Also running a SB3 and a Qnap NAS ... The files are served to the SB by the Squeezebox Server running on the NAS. The server can handle various formats including Apple Lossless!
A fresh install on the Qnap is quite easy. The server software is available for Qnap's 'Plugin'-platform QPKG. Install is done via the admin interface.
When I started with my setup I also used Apple Lossless but quickly changed to FLAC as the SB-Hardware does not support fast-forward with this format (everything else was fine BTW ...). Luckily converting from one lossless format to an other is no problem ...

Hope this helps!
cz

Thanks Paul, it's good to hear from someone that it works! I don't suppose you also know if you can run a itunes server as well as the squeezebox one at the same time do you?

... the Squeezebox server is capable of running various services at the same time, so I think it's no problem to run the iTunes service too. The only restriction might be a slow CPU or lack of enough memory - I have a TS-239 and the resource monitor tells me that there is a looooot of headroom so even 'older' models should work fine.
cz

advertisement

Back